Articles on this Page
- 05/16/16--19:34: _Bates Motel boss on...
- 05/16/16--19:46: _BOOK POST: Han Kang...
- 05/16/16--19:58: _Jane the Virgin's s...
- 05/16/16--20:24: _In "I Asked For Thi...
- 05/16/16--20:54: _NBA Playoffs Wester...
- 05/16/16--21:02: _Justin Timberlake -...
- 05/16/16--21:03: _"Black Panther" sel...
- 05/16/16--21:30: _Flipping Out Star, ...
- 05/16/16--22:12: _Carpool Karaoke w/D...
- 05/17/16--15:40: _TURN: Washington's ...
- 05/17/16--15:40: _Tetris: The Movie i...
- 05/17/16--15:40: _Preacher: Official ...
- 05/17/16--15:41: _Mykki Blanco releas...
- 05/17/16--15:41: _Adele vs. Bey: Who ...
- 05/17/16--15:41: _Ariana Releases DW ...
- 05/17/16--15:42: _Cameron D Was Surpr...
- 05/17/16--16:29: _TLSP - Miracle Alig...
- 05/17/16--16:42: _What Comedy Makes a...
- 05/17/16--16:43: _Brie Larson dyed he...
- 05/17/16--17:11: _The Kings of Angry ...
- 05/16/16--19:34: Bates Motel boss on the season finale
- 05/16/16--19:46: BOOK POST: Han Kang wins the Man Booker; Women Dominate the Nebulas
- 05/16/16--20:24: In "I Asked For This" news: Prison Break Revival Official Trailer
- 05/16/16--20:54: NBA Playoffs Western Conference Finals Game 1
- 05/16/16--21:02: Justin Timberlake - "Can't Stop the Feeling!" Music Video
- 05/16/16--21:30: Flipping Out Star, Jeff Lewis, Is Going To Be A Father
- 05/16/16--22:12: Carpool Karaoke w/Demi Lovato and Nick Jonas
- 05/17/16--15:40: TURN: Washington's Spies: 3.05 preview
- 05/17/16--15:40: Tetris: The Movie is a thing that's happening
- 05/17/16--15:40: Preacher: Official First 4 Minutes of Episode 1
- 05/17/16--15:41: Adele vs. Bey: Who will sweep the grammys?
- 05/17/16--15:42: Cameron D Was Surprised To Get Married After 40
- 05/17/16--16:29: TLSP - Miracle Aligner
- 05/17/16--16:42: What Comedy Makes a Cameo in Captain America: Civil War?
- 05/17/16--16:43: Brie Larson dyed her hair red
- 05/17/16--17:11: The Kings of Angry Punk Music Release Surprise New Single Today
Han Kang and her translator Deborah Smith won the Man Booker International Prize for Fiction for The Vegetarian.
- they each get £25,000.
- Kang's first novel translated into English
- this is Smith's breakthrough translation, she's only 28
- the novel is about a young housewife whose decision to stop eating meat and aim for a more "plant-like" existence sets off a series of bizarre and grotesque events.
With the exception of an award re: films, women writers swept the Nebula Awards.
Novel: Uprooted, Naomi Novik
Novella: Binti, Nnedi Okorafor
Novelette: “Our Lady of the Open Road,” Sarah Pinsker
Short Story: “Hungry Daughters of Starving Mothers,” Alyssa Wong
Ray Bradbury Award for Outstanding Dramatic Presentation: Mad Max: Fury Road, Written by George Miller, Brendan McCarthy, Nick Lathouris
Andre Norton Award for Young Adult Science Fiction and Fantasy: Updraft, Fran Wilde
- this has been a trend for the last few years
- some people have observed that this year 2 woc won, as did a few women who self-id as queer
- alyssa wong is the first filipina writer to be nominated (and to win) and she did for a queer horror story :)
source: 1, 2, 3
what are you reading, ontd.
HERE BE SPOILERS, OBVIOUSLY:
Stuff that happened in the season 2 finale:
* Michael is shot by Susanna, because it turns out that Susanna was Rose all this time. my otp was a fraud :*(
* Petra is paralyzed by her evil twin sister Anezka, who decides to impersonate her and
beds rapes Rafael.
* Xo is fucking pregnant with Esteban's kid.
Stuff that didn't happen in the season 2 finale:
* Sexytime for Jane.
Showrunner Jennie Urman discussed the following:
* Doesn't confirm that Michael is dead, saying that people were right to worry about Michael but that "we don't know what happened to Michael, we don't know if he's living or if he's dead, that's part of the tension of the finale..." trololololol
* Says they knew from the beginning that Petra would end up "Petrafied" and that the show took its time dropping hints that there would be a twin.
* On Xo's pregnancy: "The question will be, is Xo going to have this baby? Xo doesn't want a baby, so there's that."(oh god i hope they let Xo have an abortion.)
* Confirms that there never was a real Susanna: "We talked and talked in the writers’ room and we settled on that she had fabricated this character and invented all her references, and would be inserting herself right at the beginning... we were also trying to build a way for Rose to win Luisa back since she’s so upset that she killed her father... the way to win her back was to fall in love with her as a different person, then she would realize they were meant to be all along."
* Also confirms that the "Rose" that died in episode 12 was a double.
* The loss of Jane's virginity is imminent, but Urman says she doesn't want it to be a season premiere or a season finale thing because it would put too much pressure on her virginity as "this sacred thing."
i know a lot of people are upset over the possibility of michael dying but at least your fave actually existed in the first place :( :( :(
PRISON BREAK is back and ready for its biggest escape yet. Check out the official new trailer!!
Prison Break Revival was shot on location in Morocco. The nine-episode continuation will debut mid-season.
The Oklahoma City Thunders steal Game 1 beating the Golden State Warriors 108-102. Russell Westbrook led his team with 27pts, 12ast, and 7stl.
I'm just gonna go drink my sorrows away and pretend that didn't happen.
-The first issue of the new comic book run by Ta-Nahisi Coates and Brian Stelfreeze sold over 250,000 copies in April, easily topping the charts.
-Second place was another issue #1 and another Marvel/Disney nonwhite hero, Poe Dameron, at 175,000.
-The title accomplished this impressive feat without common gimmicks like lootcrate deals.
-T'Challa, who is celebrating his 50th anniversary this year, is now the first black Marvel solo superhero title to top the monthly sales chart (previous Marvel recordholder was Miles Morales Spider-Man, at #3; previous recordholder in general was Spawn back in the 1990's, who was the first and only black hero to ever hit #1... until now).
-Besides being the best-selling comic in its debut month, "Black Panther" is also the best-selling comic of 2016 to date.
-Interest in the title among first-time comic readers remains extremely high, according to retailers.
Don't forget that Coates has said he is more focused on gender and sexuality issues over racial ones in this comic!
Jeff and his partner Gage are expecting a bb girl via surrogate this fall. Season 9 of Flipping Out returns to Bravo over the summer.
- Despite the game of Tetris having no characters or plot, it's going to be made into a movie.
- $80 million production.
- Will film mostly in China, with a Chinese cast, and is described as a “sci-fi thriller”
- Plans are for it to be a trilogy.
that prophet bit tho
Content warning: The music video has a scene depicting what appears to be a gay bashing and has people that appear to be skinheads.
High School Never Ends is from Mykki's upcoming full-length debut album. It's available on Spotify, Apple Music, BandCamp and more.
Source: The FADER's youtube
-Lemonade is the highest rated album of 2016 so far and is Bey's most artistic effort yet but conservative voters could ruin her chances. The last young African-American artist to win Album of the Year was Outkast in 2004.
-25 could be the last diamond-selling album of our life time, an honor the grammys might not pass up. But, reviewers agree that the album is basically a 21 pt. II and the memoir narrative is missing.
What is the more deserving album, ONTD?
Well I hope y'all pre-ordered the deluxe version of Dangerous Woman, cause its got bops! "Touch It" was premiered today on Beats1. Earlier today, "Moonlight", the opening track of the album leaked. OP tried to make a post but it was deleted. So y'all will have to find the link for y'allselves
The actor opened up to Harper's Bazaar about what has surprised her most and it was her marriage to Benji Madden.
"I got married last year," Diaz replied. In the first marriage for both, Diaz and the Good Charlotte rocker, 37, tied the knot in January 2015, after less than eight months of dating. "That was the biggest thing I've done in my 40s, and it opened me up in different ways. It's pretty awesome. I didn't think it was something I'd do, and I don't know if I'd have done it if I hadn't met my husband. It was a surprise."
She also admitted that she believes in "dressing your age". "Even when you're a certain age, it's all a matter of how you present yourself, how old your spirit is, and where you are in your life," she said. "Some 50-year-olds are still 35. It's about expression and what they can pull off."
Diaz revealed in the same interview which older women she admires most. "Gloria Steinem is one of the great feminist examples of a woman doing it her way," she replied. "Jane Fonda has also always been somebody who puts herself out there in a very honest way. I appreciate that. We have so many great examples in Hollywood, from Meryl Streep to Helen Mirren. They walk such a fine line between giving everybody what they want and not sacrificing themselves for it."
Sorry for forgetting to source the first time!
The Bluth Stair Car from Arrested Development is seen in the background of the epic airport fight scene.
No hop ons were involved.
ONTD, when will your faves?
Brie Larson was spotted leaving a salon in Los Angeles a couple of days ago with her naturally brown hair dyed dark red.
The new color might be for her role as journalist Jeannette Walls in the upcoming 2017 movie The Glass Castle.
Post-hardcore/Punk band Brand New have released a new song after 6.5 years away from the scene. In case you didnt know, this band has a cult-like following of punk fans around the world despite being very removed from the scene most of the time.
A new full length album— rumored to perhaps be their last — is expected soon too. (Many fans suspect they'll pull a Beyonce and just drop it).
They're touring this summer but today they released the song and fans have gone crazy. It's a throwback punk tune that'll get you moving. Some have compared it to Blink 182, while most say it's a throwback to Brand New's first ever album. Listen to it here.