Articles on this Page
- 03/17/17--20:12: _The 'Ghost in the S...
- 03/17/17--20:16: _Black Sails: Zethu ...
- 03/17/17--20:17: _The Best Performanc...
- 03/17/17--21:12: _Ice-T remembers 'Le...
- 03/18/17--06:29: _Hans Zimmer retired...
- 03/18/17--08:24: _Josh & Anna Duggar ...
- 03/18/17--08:34: _Lana performs "Love...
- 03/18/17--08:34: _New Canadian Music ...
- 03/18/17--08:47: _Marvel's Iron Fist ...
- 03/18/17--09:21: _YouTube personality...
- 03/18/17--09:22: _Katy Perry Can Buy ...
- 03/18/17--10:23: _Jason Derulo - 'Swa...
- 03/18/17--10:24: _New Mommy Candice S...
- 03/18/17--12:00: _Demi Lovato and her...
- 03/18/17--16:49: _Some random tries t...
- 03/18/17--17:20: _ 20 Best Disney Son...
- 03/18/17--17:24: _Clean Bandit and Za...
- 03/18/17--18:15: _Chloe x Halle drop ...
- 03/18/17--18:30: _Should Wonder Woman...
- 03/18/17--18:44: _Amanda Seyfried, Em...
- 03/17/17--20:12: The 'Ghost in the Shell' Press Tour Starts In Korea and Japan
- 3:30 “I believe that she grew up in a very loving home, even though Daddy wasn’t there. [...] She was born obviously in a home of royalty, and an only child, to people who are leading a community of slaves which got away. [...] And she had to learn quickly to be a leader, to be strong and at the same time very sensitive and loving to her people and their needs.”
- 4:30 On Mr Scott’s leadership: “She knew and understood from what her Mum was saying that he’s out there doing this for their people, that in itself is a great leadership skill. Just think of Nelson Mandela going off for twenty-years, for the people. And it did affect the family, but it didn’t mean that it didn’t bring out some good.”
- 8:30 On the women of Black Sails: while Anne, Max and Eleanor are in their own ways ready to leave Nassau behind, Madi is “all about the bigger picture”, and just getting started. She’s not afraid to die or get hurt for her cause. “If I die, I die, that’s fine. Is there gonna be progress, though? That’s the power she comes in with.”
- 10:40 “I had to gird up my loins, girl!” before scenes with Toby Stephens. (Like everyone else in the cast.) She tried to channel her mother, “that look your mother gives you as you’re just about to make her mad.”
- 13:20 Describes her own life in post-Apartheid South Africa, compared to Madi’s upbringing in a community of escaped slaves: both grew up knowing about racism and its impact on their world, but they never had to directly experience the worst of it, which gives them both a different perspective than that of their parents. Madi, sheltered as she has been from slavery, doesn’t see their hiding as a silver lining, but as fear, and wants to see more of the world and change it.
- 17:40 Tom Hopper accidentally kicked her in the eye during a shoot in S3. She took it in stride and continued the scene with extra make-up covering it up.
- 20:45 “If you don’t know better, you can’t do better. She didn’t give Flint the time of day, to know him, and for him to know her. [...] They finally had that opportunity, they were stuck together on a boat, and floated away, and they had no one else to be watching out for them except for each other.”
- 24:00 “She’s always keeping her eye on the prize. I will swallow my pride, I will do what I need to do with people who I don’t particularly like in this particular moment.”
- 25:15 On Silver/Madi: “Their priorities are now different, and because they split up. Those however-long days, hours, however long it was, that she thought Silver was dead, decisions were made and other parts were carved out. And you come back and you expect things to go back to normal, when things have changed a lot. [...] Who’s this Silver that came back? Is it still the same guy who I was on the ship with before all hell broke loose?”
- 26:50 On when the pirates are infighting: “If I’m gonna be the most mature person - remember when Rackham said, I will be your daddy? Madi says, I will be your mama!”
- 27:35 Really wanted a scene with Clara Paget. And wanted to wear corsets and cool dresses like Max! Hopes the guys will pull through on their jokes of making a Black Sails parody show called “Game of Bones”.
- 29:20 Goes a bit further about her personal history as a South-African woman compared to Madi’s heritage, how their attitudes and relationships with white people are different to their parents’, and how their approach to carving out a place for themselves in the world differs.
- 33:55 “She’s got an I can attitude. And it’s like, what would stop me? What would make me feel like I can’t? Even me, growing up, what makes me think I can’t be an actor, dream big, go to university as a black child in South Africa? It’s an I can attitude because I didn’t see the I can’t-iness of it.”
- 34:30 Interviewer compares James McGraw to Madi, both of whom see potential and idealism, while Flint is more like Madi’s parents, who are motivated by trauma. Zethu says that Madi and Flint click because maybe she reminds him of his old self and he wants to both protect her (possibly as a father-figure) and remind her how harsh the world out there is. She also reminds him of the past, reminding him of who he was and how it can work out.“Maybe it’s more fascinating for Flint to see Madi be powerful, the way she is, as opposed to changing. She doesn’t have to go to a dark space to make a difference.”
- 36:30 The S3 scene where Madi deals with one of her men that beat up Dobbs, and when handed a knife, cuts his bindings instead of killing someone, which would have been the pirate go-to. Again emphasizes Madi’s capacity of seeing the bigger picture and be the better leader.
- 40:25 On Silver’s leadership skills compared to Madi’s: “He’s a quick learner, he’s a comedian. And Madi is like the earth. She’s the, Come back, you rainbow-looking child, come to me, be normal, breathe, my babe. [...] You need someone who’s not necessarily the opposite of you, but somebody who might see what you don’t.”
- 41:50 On carrying the heavy crown together: “Three legs are better than none!”
- 43:00 Will Madi need her own tether, now she and Silver both have “experienced the Flint effect”? Zethu says she does, that she could be “inside of Flint and Silver’s relationship because she was outside of it, because she hadn’t established a know-how of Flint at that level.” Says Madi will need Silver to pull her out as she tethers him in return, if it’s to work out.
- 44:20 On balancing the Madi/Silver/Flint relationship:“What Silver will be expecting from Madi in that argument is to just jump rope, Yes my love, where do you want me to go?”
- 45:50 “I’m still trying to figure out how [Silver/Madi] fell in love. I mean, how?” About stuff happening or not happening offscreen.
- 46:40 Before shooting together, Luke Arnold took Zethu on a date, to get to know each other and build a connection to then have something to work with onscreen. She goes on to talk a bit about her acting techniques, based on nine basic emotions all humans experience.
- 50:30 The moment when Madi fell for Silver: when she finds him in pain over his leg & trying to be strong for his men; she recognizes a kindred spirit in someone who has to set aside their hardships to be a good leader to their people.
- 52:50 Same scene: “I don’t think that he would even allow himself to go there with Flint. And sometimes it helps to just be the perfect stranger, because the perfect stranger will show you something that you [...] didn’t think was alive in you. That says, It’s okay. Be weak. I’ll be strong for you. If it means holding your hand, I’ll do that. By the way, you’ve got beautiful eyes. So, you know. I’m here!”
- 03/17/17--20:17: The Best Performances In Terrence Malick Films
- 03/17/17--21:12: Ice-T remembers 'Leprechaun in the Hood'
- 03/18/17--08:24: Josh & Anna Duggar Expecting Fifth Child
- 03/18/17--08:34: Lana performs "Love" live for the first time @ SXSW
- 03/18/17--08:34: New Canadian Music Post
- 03/18/17--08:47: Marvel's Iron Fist now streaming
- "Discrimination is wrong. We've gotten rid of discrimination in Western countries. If you don't think we've gotten rid of discrimination, you're living in a fantasy land."
- "Wealthy blacks also commit more crime than poor whites. That's a fact. Look it up."
- "What do you call a large number of people from one specific place, coming in, setting up their ethnic enclaves and then waving their own flag inside of our nation? There are large swathes of them who want to break parts of America back into Mexico."
- "Ay yi yi, dude, you're just virtue signaling. Not all Mexicans are going to go on welfare, but a lot of them are going to commit crimes. The El Salvadorans are going to create the MS13 gangs."
- "It's clear that whites are not allowed to speak up against their demographic, um, oblivion."
- "Trump is a reaction to the retarded identity politics of the left for at least the last 4 years."
- "Nobody wants to become a minority in their own country. Why is it bad if [the whites] remain a majority?"
- “[The whites] are not being killed. They're being displaced. You are the same guy who says that Europeans displaced the Native Americans, but, apparently, when other people do it to white Americans, it's okay, because fuck white people."
- "Why is it when the Chinese were trying to colonize Tibet, why was that a "save Tibet" situation, but when it's white people... I'm using an analogy to try to give a parallel situation so you can see the hypocrisy."
- 03/18/17--10:24: New Mommy Candice Swanepoel Back To Work for Vogue Brasil
- 03/18/17--12:00: Demi Lovato and her boyfriend celebrate his birthday @ Disneyland
- 03/18/17--17:20: 20 Best Disney Songs Of All Time.
- 03/18/17--18:15: Chloe x Halle drop mixtape "The Two Of Us"
- 03/18/17--18:30: Should Wonder Woman have hairy armpits? Plenty reckon so
- Emma Watson's lawyers have already being instructed about what to do over the invasion of privacy, mentioning that the stolen pics are of her trying out bikinis/underwear in a fitting room (AKA the actual nude pics aren't her).
- Amanda Seyfried's lawyer has already sent a cease-and-desist letter to the site that seems to be the original source of the leaked pictures, causing 4chan's moderators to delete threads in which the unauthorized publication of the photos was happening.
- Alyssa Arce, Jillian Murray, Analeigh Tipton, Rhona Mitra, and Iliza Shlesinger are among other victims of the leaks.
- The leaks seem to have happened exactly one year after one of the culprits of the Fappening was charged with violating the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.
- Mischa Barton's lawyer promised to "come after" anyone involved with her case of 'revenge pornography#39; and the actress has obtained restraining orders against two ex-boyfriends (Jon Zacharias and Adam Shaw), one who bragged about having intimate pictures and videos of her taken without her permission and another who has forged her signature in checks (the latter has been arrested). This info would confirm that her case isn't related to the other leaks.
- Barton has recently been low-key shamed by RadarOnline for doing a bikini photoshoot, as the site gave their article about such shoot the title of: "Hot Mess Mischa Barton Strips Down Amid Revenge Porn Scandal".
Scarlett Johansson (L) and Juliette Binoche attend the 'Ghost in the Shell' Premiere at Lotte World mall in Seoul, South Korea on March 17, 2017
Zethu Dlomo, who plays Maroon royalty Madi Scott, sat down with Fathoms Deep podcast for an extensive talk on what she has in common with her Black Sails character, about Madi's dread pirate boyfriend being a "rainbow-looking child", the Flint effect, and more.
Think of her personally what you will [OP does have thoughts] but what she has to say about the show is really good stuff.
Highlights & Time-Stamps
Crew, are you like Madi a gracious queen teaching lesser men how to lead?
- Sissy Spacek as Holly in “Badlands” (1973)
- Q’orianka Kilcher as Pocahontas in “The New World” (2005)
- Jessica Chastain as Mrs O’Brien in “Tree Of Life” (2011)
- Jim Caviezel as Private Witt in “The Thin Red Line” (1998)
Actor and rapper Ice-T recently did an interview recalling his role in the classic film "Leprechaun in the Hood".
On why he took the role: “I got the offer to do it, and of course, I was like, ‘Get the fuck out of here! At the end of the day my son was a big Leprechaun fan, and he was like, ‘Dad, you’ve got to be in this movie!’ So I did a little more research, and I found out the Leprechaun had, like, four movies already. This motherfucker was an institution! So I signed on for it.”
On making the film: "The crazy thing about that was, dude [Warwick Davis] was never out of his makeup. I never saw him other than as the Leprechaun. He used to scare me sometimes, because he’d come around the trailer looking like that, and I’d be like, ‘Dude, what the fuck?’ But it was fun. That’s one of those horror movies that have a humorous side to them. Stuff like Leprechaun in the Hood and Bloodrunners, they don’t take themselves too seriously, and you can enjoy them because of that. I mean, Leprechaun is wild, man. He rips my finger off, he’s smoking weed at the end; it’s like, ‘Who wrote this shit?’ You just kind of go along for the ride, and the craziest thing is that some people might say, ‘Oh, that’s a terrible movie,’ but to others, it’s their favorite movie. That’s the cool thing about art; you’re always going to find people who really appreciate it.”
Hans Zimmer says in an interview to Inverse that he felt great loyalty to Christian Bale's portrayal of Batman and scoring for the new Batman would feel like betrayal.
He tried to come up with something for Ben but could not because Ben plays it differently than Christian. According to Zimmer, Ben's character is more middle-aged and "grumpy" as hell but Zimmer couldn't "feel the pain" that he felt in Christian's performance and it was that pain which interested him enough to score for the movie.
LMFAO wtf kind of pain did he sense in Christian's generic-ass performance?? Zimmer is so self-important and serious.
19 months after Josh Duggar was caught cheating on his wife Anna with the help of website Ashley Madison, the eldest Duggar son has announced that they are expecting their fifth child:
“For nearly the last two years, we have quietly worked to save our marriage, focus on our children, and rebuild our lives together as a family. Doing so is never easy after a breach of trust.
We’ve learned that a life of faith and rebuilding a life together is simply done one day at a time…As we continue our journey as a family and rebuild our lives, we are delighted to share with you that we are expecting a new baby boy later this year. Beauty comes from ashes and we cannot wait to see and kiss the face of this sweet new boy!"
In a surprise appearance at Texa's SXSW festival Lana performed her new single Love for the first time, serving us effortless and ethereal live vocals.
Feist - Pleasure
Faiza - Body Babe
She Devils - The World Laughs
Tasha The Amazon - Watch It Burn
Leif Vollebekk - Elegy
A Tribe Called Red - Indian City Feat. Black Bear
Lisa LeBlanc - City Slickers And Country Boys
Pick A Piper - Geographically Opposed
Lydia Ainsworth - The Road
The New Pornographers - High Ticket Attractions
Mods, this is my very first post - let me know if it's a mess and I can fix it (I don't think I understood how to insert the cut properly).
Discussion post !
YouTube star JonTron under fire for controversial comments on race and immigration https://t.co/abkKo3ZHTM— TIME (@TIME) March 15, 2017
This whole stupid system relies on rational people being shamed into shutting up. Glad to see that slowly falling apart— Jon Jafari (@JonTronShow) March 12, 2017
For those who don't know: JonTron (Jon Jafari) is a game reviewer on YouTube and co-founded the YouTube "let's play" series Game Grumps with Egoraptor (Arin Hanson) until he abruptly left the show in 2014. He also established Normal Boots with Peanut Butter Gamer (Austin Hargrave), which also hosts other online game personalities.
JonTron is vocally "anti-social justice" and is a supporter of GamerGate. Over the past three years, his comments have leaning more and more into racist territory and have been liked/retweeted by the so-called "alt-right." He even did an interview with Breitbart News.
Although fans continued to justify his views, this all came to a head on March 12, 2017, when JonTron made this lovely tweet regarding Steve King's views on immigration:
Wow, how scandalous, Steve King doesn't want his country invaded by people who have contempt for his culture and people! NAZI!!!— Jon Jafari (@JonTronShow) March 12, 2017
Destiny (Steve Bonnell) saw this tweet and invited JonTron to have a debate on his Twitch channel because, according to the comment he gave to [banned source], he "likes debating political issues with people who have opinions that differ from his." Throughout the debate, JonTron responded with gems such as the idea that rich black people were more likely to commit crimes than poor white people and made comparisons with the Chinese invasion of Tibet. This has caused his subscriber count drop drastically (~7,000 or more) now that his fans realize they can no longer defend his racist ass.
Destiny uploaded the stream to his YouTube account, which you can view below:
Here are some quotes of what he said on the debate:
JonTron's comments have also impacted the Normal Boots community. Peanut Butter Gamer has been tweeting the most about this situation. He has mentioned in January 2017 that he and JonTron stopped being friends a while back, though it was over a personal issue. He has also hinted that he and the rest of the Normal Boots crew will release a statement and do something about JonTron soon. JonTron has gone Twitter-silent since the debate.
If the sentiment that people with certain skin pigmentation are inherently more violent than others isn't "racist" to you, what is exactly?— Austin Hargrave (@PeanutButterGmr) March 15, 2017
It seems to me that the bar for what is or isn't allowed to be labeled as bigoted is evaporating at a frighteningly quick pace for many.— Austin Hargrave (@PeanutButterGmr) March 15, 2017
Granted, I don't think we should demonized someone for holding these views. Doesn't solve anything and doesn't change minds. Have to educate— Austin Hargrave (@PeanutButterGmr) March 15, 2017
.@SkyDoesTweeting Yeah, seems that all these negative stories about big YT'ers are negatively effecting unrelated peoples work.— Austin Hargrave (@PeanutButterGmr) March 15, 2017
@HELLBREAKFAST Can't update yet, but sit tight— Austin Hargrave (@PeanutButterGmr) March 13, 2017
@vegraptor Respectfully disagree with that assertion.— Austin Hargrave (@PeanutButterGmr) March 14, 2017
Either way I have no tangible affiliation with Jon anymore, & am working towards 0.
@WaaWaa4lyfe All I can say is stay tuned on that. Will have an answer ASAP— Austin Hargrave (@PeanutButterGmr) March 14, 2017
Satchell Drakes, another member of the Normal Boots crew, posted this statement on his Twitter account, which Peanut Butter Gamer and Nick Murphy (who runs "Continue?") retweeted.
Despite what might be inferred from what Time, Polygon, and Gizmodo have written, I do not share in ideology that infringes on human rights.— Satchell Drakes (@SatchellDrakes) March 15, 2017
The Completionist (Jirard Khalil) also posted a statement on his Twitter account:
Been getting a lot of hate, confusion, and outcry the last 48 hours, so I felt like I should say something. pic.twitter.com/WyWTBcAAIX— Jirard @ AOD 2017 (@JKCompletesIt) March 14, 2017
Sources:Cultured Vultures, Gizmodo, debate quote compilation @ Reddit, StatSheep, Debating JonTron, JonTron's Twitter, Peanut Butter Gamer's Twitter, Satchell Drakes' Twitter, The Completionist's Twitter
Katy Perry has been in a two-years-long battle to buy a shuttered convent in Los Feliz, California. A judge has sided with Perry and she is expected to move forward in purchasing the convent and turning it into a residential home.
In 2014 she made a bid of $14.5 million to buy it from the archdiocese of Los Angeles, but the nuns living there claimed that only they had the legal right to sell it. The nuns wanted to sell it to a nightlife-and-hotel developer instead of Perry, accusing Perry of being an unsuitable owner who was involved with witchcraft. The judge ruled in favor of the archdiocese, which now needs approval from the Vatican before it sells the convent to Perry.
Some of the nuns have said,
“I do not like Katy Perry’s lifestyle. I gave a lot of the things from the internet to show the Archdiocese what kind of woman she was. Some of the things she does are disgusting.”
“Katy Perry was all dressed very nicely and said: ‘I have this tattoo on my wrist and it says Jesus.’ And I wanted to say, ‘yes and what is the tattoo on your behind?’
“I asked her: ‘You are into witchcraft, you went to Salem.’ She looked over at one of her people and said: ‘Did I go to Salem, was I in Salem?’ I said: ‘Come on, you didn’t know you were in Salem at a witchcraft thing.... I’m sorry but I am just not into witchcraft and I am just not into people who are into witchcraft.
What's ur dream home? Team nuns or team Katy?
Out and about in New York with Anacâ yesterday;
Sources: 1, 2, 3
What does your diet/fitness routine look like atm, ontd?
bombatufI love you ❤️ @ddlovato
How's your love life, ONTD?
Chastain was showing some love for her The Zookeeper's Wife director Niki Caro on twitter. Of course some guy had to tell her that actually, she was wrong:
Actually its important to have multiple points of view in storytelling. Having more than 90% of the stories from a male gaze isn't healthy. https://t.co/lce1AWDN2K— Jessica Chastain (@jes_chastain) March 18, 2017
ONTD when's the last time a man gave you his unsolicited opinion?
20. “BABY MINE” – DUMBO
15. “I’LL MAKE A MAN OUT OF YOU” – MULAN
10. “COLORS OF THE WIND” – POCAHONTAS
6. “PART OF YOUR WORLD” – THE LITTLE MERMAID
2. “WHEN YOU WISH UPON A STAR” – PINOCCHIO
what's your favorite Disney song??
- Beyonce's proteges & sister duo, Chloe and Halle Bailey, dropped a mixtape this week!
- They described it as not an album, but not a mixtape either (kind of).
- You might remember them as the girls that covered Pretty Hurts on Youtube.
A shot from the latest trailer of 'Wonder Woman' has caused some debate on the internet as to whether or not the character should shave her armpits.
Writes Shannon Carlin on Refinery29 stated that it was hard to believe that Wonder Woman would be concerned about waxing and bleaching her armpits after living on an island filled with strong women her entire life. She also said that it would have been exciting for the character to have hair under her arms to show that Wonder Woman doesn't cater to beauty standards to make her more attractive towards men.
Others have noted that Wonder Woman's armpits appear to be have been smoothed over digitally.