Articles on this Page
- 02/19/17--07:18: _ONTD Original: 5 Ic...
- 02/19/17--07:18: _Katy Perry - Chaine...
- 02/19/17--07:19: _BET's 2017 American...
- 02/19/17--07:19: _Twice release "Knoc...
- 02/19/17--07:51: _Larry Wilmore confr...
- 02/19/17--08:15: _BTS - Not Today [MV]
- 02/19/17--08:50: _Ricky Martin Met Hi...
- 02/19/17--09:07: _The Expanse roundup...
- 02/19/17--09:11: _'This Is Us' star f...
- 02/19/17--09:16: _Olympic diving star...
- 02/19/17--09:28: _Weekend Box Office:...
- 02/19/17--10:05: _Abby Wambach and Gl...
- 02/19/17--11:53: _ Lindsay Lohan Real...
- 02/19/17--11:53: _Moonlight's Alex R....
- 02/19/17--12:26: _Michaela Coel Pens ...
- 02/19/17--12:37: _Mission: Impossible...
- 02/19/17--12:38: _Stormzy covers Kany...
- 02/19/17--12:42: _Toni Erdmann wins 5...
- 02/19/17--15:00: _Tinashe round up! T...
- 02/19/17--15:10: _Anwar Hadid is Raci...
- 02/19/17--07:18: ONTD Original: 5 Iconic Phrases from Japanese Scandals
- 02/19/17--07:18: Katy Perry - Chained To The Rhythm [Video Teaser]
- Narrated by George Takei
- Full video out Feb. 21
- 02/19/17--07:19: BET's 2017 American Black Film Festival Honors Awards
- 02/19/17--07:19: Twice release "Knock Knock" MV
- 02/19/17--08:15: BTS - Not Today [MV]
- 02/19/17--08:50: Ricky Martin Met His Future Husband on Instagram
- 02/19/17--09:07: The Expanse roundup- 2X05 pics, post episode 4 video and podcast
- 02/19/17--09:11: 'This Is Us' star fuming over Lady GaGa & Kesha body shaming!
- 02/19/17--09:16: Olympic diving star Tom Daley had 18-month affair with male model
- 02/19/17--09:28: Weekend Box Office: The LEGO Batman Movie repeats at #1
- 02/19/17--10:05: Abby Wambach and Glennon Doyle Melton are engaged
- 02/19/17--11:53: Moonlight's Alex R. Hibbert wants to cure cancer
- 02/19/17--12:26: Michaela Coel Pens Essay Praising Adele For Her Grammy Speech
- 02/19/17--12:37: Mission: Impossible 6 Details from Director Christopher McQuarrie
- Director Christopher McQuarrie talked to Empire for its podcast. Shooting for Mission: Impossible 6 will begin in April and will be released July 27, 2018. Tom Cruise will return (obviously) as will Rebecca Ferguson.
- The film will be more about Ethan Hunt's morality as opposed to just cool stunts. The film will NOT begin with a cool action scene, as it has for three out of the five previous films. McQuarrie admits that was the hardest sell to the studio.
- When asked about the big stunt of the film, McQuarrie said he didn't know yet, but he showed Tom Cruise a photo of a place recently, and Tom responded "That’s awesome! I want to fall off of that!" because 54 year old Tom Cruise doesn't respect his own life.
- McQuarrie teases "people you would not expect [will] be back." (FUCK JEREMY RENNER, BRING BACK THANDIE NEWTON AND MAGGIE Q)
- 02/19/17--12:38: Stormzy covers Kanye's "Ultralight Beam" in the Radio 1 Live Lounge
- 02/19/17--12:42: Toni Erdmann wins 5 prizes from International Cinephile Society
- 02/19/17--15:00: Tinashe round up! Tinashe will be RCA's priority in 2017 + more.
What's Wrong with Being Naked?
It was a mid-late April night (More specifically, 2:55 AM) in Tokyo. While most people were asleep, a lone man can be heard yelling "Wooooo~ Ohhhhhhh~" in Roppongi. After all, the big city is a lonely place. Police was alerted about this disturbance, and they began looking for the source of these sounds. This lead them to discovering a visibly drunk and naked Tsuyoshi Kusanagi (Member of the popular boyband SMAP) in the park.When police confronted him, he blurted out "What's wrong with being naked?"
After being covered with a towel and taken by police, Kusanagi apologizes for being naked, but doesn't recall why he became naked. He also revealed that he was drinking with two acquaintances prior to the event. This scandal had a big impact on both his career and SMAP as a whole. Kusanagi had a clean image prior to this event, making him an excellent choice for commercials. However, he lost multiple major sponsor deals and forced to go on hiatus for a month. The incident also caused people to speculate the potential downfall of SMAP due to the incident tarnishing their image. In the end, SMAP and Kusanagi were both able to recover from this scandal and maintain a successful career leading upto their 2016 disbandment. Kusanagi also stayed sober since the incident until last year (The host of a variety show he appeared in heavily insisted in him having one beer and that the beer wouldn't hurt). While the incident is behind SMAP and Kusanagi, that one phrase became immortalized, and nobody can truly forget this scandal.
Rotten Amniotic Fluids
Before having children at an older age became a hot topic on ONTD, pop star Koda Kumi pioneered this taboo topic in 2008. During a radio apperance at "All Night Nippon", the topic switched to her manager's marriage. This lead to a conversation about her manager having children in the future, and Koda Kumi stated, "When women turn 35, their amniotic fluid goes rotten, so I’d like them to have a child by 35".
This statement caused controversy due to its medical inaccuracy as well as some viewing it as sexist and/or ageist. In response, avex suspended Koda Kumi from doing any activities for a month. Unfortunately, this came at the worst timing: she just released a new album a week ago. This unfortunate timing resulted in her not promoting her latest album at the most crucial moment. To make matters worse, she lost multiple commercial deals such as popular makeup brand KOSE. On the one hand, "Kingdom" was able to maintain its #1 position in its second week. But on the other hand, one can only imagine how many potential sales she lost due to lack of promotion.
But not all is bad for Koda Kumi. In late 2011, Koda Kumi announced her
SxWxAxG chanteuse. Queen of duck lips. Girls Day Cover Artist. These are some of the titles bestowed upon Itano Tomomi. However, none are more iconic than the one given to her by Japanese netizens: violent breasts. During the entertainment coverage of a news channel, a preview of AKB48's then upcoming single "Kibouteki Refrain" was released to the public. A key selling point of this single was the apperance of popular graduated members Maeda Atsuko, Oshima Yuko, Shinoda Mariko, and Itano Tomomi in the music video. It was later revealed that these members would be running and passing two black bags containing golden microphones. This chase eventually ends with Watanabe Mayu and Miyawaki Sakura receiving the bag and its contents as a symbol of passing down the torch to the next generation.
But despite Aki-P serving us Artpop symbolism, netizens focused their attention on Itano Tomomi. Specifically, they noticed her breasts were larger than usual. While the topic itself is boring, what makes this "scandal" iconic is netizens' use of words to describe the alleged boob job: violent. Netizens described her boobs as "waving in multiple directions quite violently" in the running scene and some female netizens commented that the violent shaking [of the breasts] must have been painful. Needless to say, the international fans had a good laugh at the translated description.
Oh, come on, do you think I would make a Japanese entertainment scandal post without taking a jab at Maro the grass-grazing gazelle? *insertjokeabouthimstaringathisdinnerhere*
Once upon an Ayu album era, Ayu decided to date her longtime backup dancer Uchiyama Maroka (Also known as Maro). As usual, she featured her newest fling in her music video. But wait, wait, wait...! He's on the cover of her mini-album, too! And Ayu promoted him into a choreographer position! It's true love, y'all!
... Or not. Not long after the release of the mini-album, Ayu dumped and fired him. After finding inspiration from the elusive chanteuse, Maro decided to pursue a solo career as ex-boyfriend-turned-actor-singer. But in order for him to achieve his dreams, he would have to gain the general public's side on the breakup. His strategy? To appear on multiple variety shows to spill the details regarding the breakup. Specifically, he tried to play victim and claim that he became homeless and lived in a cardboard box because of Ayu. Oh, and he also ate grass because "I thought that leaves must be good for the body since they take in a lot of sunlight".
Needless to say, netizens skewered him. Many pointed out that it's impossible for him to suddenly become homeless and living in a cardboard box right after breaking up with Ayu (Especially given how he claimed to be one of the top 3 most paid dancers in Japan prior to the breakup) and made fun of how blatantly obvious his lies are. However, both international and domestic audiences found joy in making fun of his grass diet advocacy. One Japanese netizen commented "In any case, I planted grass for your breakfast tomorrow. Please don't hesitate". International netizens also made comments such as "I hope Japanese grass is more nutritious and less pesticide filled than American grass for his sake tbh!" and "Maybe I'll try the grass diet too..." (Context: The comment was in post about his cover on gay-oriented gravure magazine "badi"). Other gems from international netizens includes "A promise of fresh healthy grass as an alternative to unhealthy snacks consumed by tokyo's youth" when he announced he was running for a city assembly position and "I love this site features up and coming vegan Indie Acts like Maroka Uchiyama!"
Receipts later revealed the obvious: He never really lived in a cardboard box. In reality, he lived in his car for a day, then checked into a hotel. As for his career? These twoposts should sum things up.
Betsu Ni ("Not really/I felt nothing")
Let's be honest, there is no contest for the most iconic phrase for a scandal in the Japanese entertainment scene. Erika Sawajiri was one of the most in-demand actresses during her peak and was even able to translate her success as an actress into a music career with her first two singles hitting multi-platinum. However, her career shifted from famous to infamous during a press conference for the then upcoming movie "Closed Note".
Throughout the press conference, Erika clearly didn't want to be there. Her arms were crossed and she was frowning. But what was most telling was the times in which she was talking and being interviewed. When she was asked to give a message to the audience, she said "Thank you everyone for coming" in a monotone voice. When the interviewer asked her if there's any memorable events or scenes from shooting the movie, she said "toku ni nai desu" (Nothing in particular). Later in the interview, she was asked about how she felt about baking cookies for her director, and that's when she delivered one of the most infamous words ever muttered in the Japanese entertainment industry: Betsu ni (In this context, it'd translate to "I didn't feel anything" in a negative context/connotation).
The incident blew up, and Erika was forced into apologizing for the incident and hiatus for years leading upto her agency (Stardust Productions) to terminate her contract and her transferring to Avex. Erika Sawajiri's view on the incident also changed over the years. In a 2010 interview with CNN, she regretted apologizing and revealed that she did not actually want to apologize. Erika stated that agencies (And the people managing them) are too old fashioned, force too much onto the idols they manage, and need to change. But in 2013, she stated that she is now at a point of her life where she can genuinely apologize for what she did and explained that she was fed up with the demands and expectations placed on her as an actress, but was too immature to properly address that issue. She has also reached a point where she can now laugh at herself regarding this incident as seen by her Snickers commercial making fun of the incident.
As much as I would like to say that all things ended well for Erika, it's honestly more of a mixed bag that ultimately highlights a problem that is prevelent both in Japanese and general media. On the one hand, Erika Sawajiri is still able to get roles in dramas and movies, and she's still given credit as a bonafide actress. On the other hand, she is commonly percieved as hard to work with because of the incident. It has gotten to a point where Erika even addressed it in a press conference for her drama squel for "FIRST CLASS" and assured everyone that she just wants to properly do her job. It also appears that the general public is still not over the incident. Ever since the "betsu ni" incident, Erika Sawajiri always appeared in Shunkan Bunshun's yearly Top 10 Most Hated Actress survey (Usually within the top 3 including last year). In other words, Japan still holds a 9 year grudge against her, and it doesn't look like they're not going to get over it anytime soon.
Meanwhile, Kanjani8's Shibutani Subaru pulled something similar last year, but faced nowhere near as much consequences as Erika, and even got some fans going "oniichan didn't mean it" and playing M.D. and diagnossing him with Tourettes to explain his behavior. Just something to bring up. Totally not insinuating anything at all. Definitely not trying to suggest sexism. Nope. i totally am. kyary should just keep wearing giant bows to piss off kanjani fans tbh
Tsuyoshi Kusanagi 1
Koda Kumi 1
Itano Tomomi 1
Uchiyama Maroka 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8
Erika Sawajiri 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8
maro didnt pick up a new occupation, so i guess we'll have to settle with this for now.
Is another "Birthday" disaster on the way? Or will Chained To The Charts finally smash?
Song of the year
Video of the year
My faves are over
"I met my fiancé on Instagram. I am an art collector and he's an artist. I'm scrolling and I see this beautiful piece of art ... I wrote to him," Ricky told radio host Andy Cohen.
"And we were talking [exchanging messages] for, like, six months without me hearing his voice. We talked about art, nothing sexy ... He used to live in London. I went to London and I met him."
Have you met a special someone on social media/apps?
Promotional photos at the link in the tweet, the synopsis: 'The Rocinante chases an asteroid as it hurtles towards Earth.'
Inside episode 4
They talk about the Eros dodging the Nauvoo scene, how it's a realistic universe, so seeing something that defies physics like that is bizarre and crazy. Realistically, Eros moved so fast, nobody would be able to see it, but they wanted to have Miller see and react to it. Naomi becomes Miller's guiding light and she made the effort to connect with him on a human level. She's the voice in his ear, she looks out for him and he's always on her mind. Initially they were going to concentrate on the Miller-Holden bond, but as they were writing, the warmest and the most personal moments were happening between Miller-Naomi.
The Churn podcast behind a cut.
Syfy Wire's Cher Martinetti and Adam Swiderski join producers/universe creators Ty Franck and Daniel Abraham and discuss 2X04 (featuring special guest star Steven Strait). Like all previous podcasts, Adam Swiderski is obsessed with Holden's abs and ass, so they get a mention here. This podcast is like 99% Steven, so I zoned out a bit, Ty and Daniel are pretty quiet here.
* Holden is constantly driven by guilt for people's death, feels a moral responsibility to take on as much of the burden as he can. Holden doesn't have a clean trajectory to be a leader and hero, you see him struggle and stumble. Events keep pushing Holden to be a more gray character. The doctors incident has a huge impact on Holden and his evolution, the event wasn't in the book, it was created to give him a crisis point that's external and not internal; a terrible decision with consequences for himself and those around him. Holden has a vast arc from idealistic black-and-white guy to shouldering more and more responsibilities and his struggle to hold onto his idealism.
* Holden and Miller are the only two people who experienced the horror of what happened on Eros, he's going through PTSD after Eros and becomes increasingly obsessed with getting rid of the protomolecule. Steven did research into Holden's trajectory in S2 and talked to the lead psychologist in the Canadian military and asked him questions about peacekeepers in genocidal zones, what the effect was on those who were there and felt helpless to stop the carnage and take on responsibility for what they've experienced.
* Steven wishes more people were like Holden, the world would be a better place with more idealism and belief in humanity. He wanted to make sure Holden is relatable and to convey his warmth and humanity; his heart is what makes him the leader he is, despite his flaws and the mistakes he makes. He doesn't feel like he's alike to Holden, but understands him and where he's coming from.
* Ty and Daniel try to write for actors' strengths and write more scenes based on them. They talk about the math of throwing Eros into the sun- it's easy to slingshot things around the sun, but not into it. However, the farther you are from the sun, the easier you can change your trajectory to fall into it. All the time they spent having the show have realistic physics, the payoff is when Eros defies all the laws of physics.
SOURCES: #1, #2, #3
New series low 0.1, folks, we need a prayer circle for this amazing show. The Expanse airs Wednesdays at 10/9C on The SyFy channel.
Me, to the show:
In an interview with SiriusXM's Jenny Hutt, 'This Is Us' star Chrissy Metz revealed that she was furious over the body shaming that Lady GaGa and Kesha have received.
Chrissy said, "THAT made me bonkers, bananas, crazy. How is someone fat if they're not fat? I want to see someone else get on that damn stage and do what she did! ... I think what happens and really what the core of the issue is that we project all of our stuff and our crap onto other people. And if we're really really genuinely happy with ourselves and love ourselves, you can't talk sh#* about other people. You can't be hateful because you love yourself. And we are extensions of each other. We are all connected."
OLYMPIC diving star Tom Daley had a secret 18-month affair with a male model while his fiancé Dustin Lance Black was away.
* Tom (22) and Dustin (42) have been engaged since October 2015
* Last month Tom admitted to sending sexual pictures and videos to another man via Snapchat
* Tom said he and Dustin were on a break at the time due to their distance from one another, and that he never actually met up with the other guy
* Yesterday it was reported that Tom had been having a secret affair with 27-year-old, 6'6" model Edward William for the past 18 months
* Some of the messages that Tom would send Ed incluce "I’m home and horny, can you come round?" and "Lance is away, are you going to be about?"
* Relationship was purely physical
* No comment from Tom or Dustin yet
|<<Last Weekend<Last Year||View Index: By Year | By Weekend|
|<<Last Weekend<Last Year||View Index: By Year | By Weekend|
What did you watch this weekend, ONTD?
Everyone's favorite mommy blogger and soccer player couple announced their engagement yesterday.
They announced their relationship in November after both ending previous marriages earlier in the year.
She wrote on Instagram:
I will sing again, as #ariel #thelittlemermaid @disney approve that #billcondon directs it along with my sister @alianamusic singing the theme song for the soundtrack. 🐠🐬💫 also @kgrahamsfb plays Ursula. Simply because, she is the best. 🎬 take one. @disneystudios
Someone should tell that to UK film critic Camilla Long, who decided to write a terrible review of the film that is basically summed up as "empty, not important, and not relevant because black people won't see it." She is getting destroyed on Twitter for it and yet still doesn't get it.
protect this child from evil ugly whites at all costs!!
Michaela Coel, multi-talented creator and star of Chewing Gum, shared her views on the matter in an essay entitled “Adele’s Tribute To Beyoncé Was A Frank Admission of Privilege. I salute it.”
She writes from her perspective as a black woman who, like Adele, grew up in a working-class London home. She shares her experience before diving into a discussion about representation, accountability, and intersectional feminism.
growing up working-class and the significance of Adele’s speech:
I thought about life on my estate. Yes, not everyone got on; yes, I was the victim of racist attacks as a child (and even still as an adult), but poverty was no respecter of race – there was an affinity between myself and the white girls in my school, on my estate, in Tower Hamlets. And the knowledge of that gave me a sweet sense of nostalgia at Adele’s speech.
Her experience of life as a working-class female gave her the ability to see that some black people felt things listening to Beyoncé’s music that white people could not. I bet Adele is probably used to being the one at a disadvantage in comparison with her female caucasian counterparts from wealthier backgrounds in the entertainment business. She’s used to knowing her lack of familiarity with the highbrow cultural norms that suffocate the creative industry makes her different in ways that means she may not always “win.”
the importance of intersectionality:
That’s why feminists sometimes argue across lines of race, gender, trans-identity, sexuality and finance. It’s why misogynoir was created, because for black women misogyny was, at best, half their problem. It’s why a great female comedian such as Amy Schumer is often seen giving many fucks about the perils of being female but zero when it comes to those poor and/or brown. It’s why we celebrate Equal Pay day to highlight the additional four months (in the US) it takes for a woman to make what a man makes in a year. But that’s for a white woman; for black women it’s an additional seven months.
And it’s why while black people celebrated the brilliantly complex portrayals of black women in Orange is the New Black, we blissfully avoided thinking about its unimaginative, poorly developed Asian characters. Accepting privilege is hard.
Do you have an Amy Schumer in your life? Weed her out. Highlight your sensitivity and disappointment in her for partaking in the micro-aggressions and subtle forms of prejudice that are quietly poisoning the era of progress and equality in which we live. And those of us who are content creators have a duty to make room for those we know are less privileged than we are.
Adele did the best thing anyone of privilege can do: she admitted, she spoke. Because Adele is not an appropriating thief – she’s a queen, with a genuine desire for solidarity.
In a recent visit to the BBC Radio 1 Live Lounge, Stormzy performed a cover of "Ultralight Beam" by Kanye West and Chance The Rapper.
He also performed his current single, "Big For Your Boots":
Toni Erdmann win Picture, Director, Actor, Original Screenplay, and Best Foreign Film.
Elle won Actress, Adapted Screenplay, and Editing.
Moonlight won Supporting Actor (ANDRE HOLLAND YAS), and got an ensemble prize.
Also relevant: JACKIE won score and ONTD fav THE HANDMAIDEN got production design
The rest of the prizes (including runners-up and a ranked 10 in picture/foreign) can be found on the ICS website.
Their list of undistributed films is better than any top 10 I've seen listed this year.
Leaders of RCA, Peter Edge and Tom Corson, in a interview with Music Business Wordwide, revealed that Tinashe is one of their priorities for 2017, along with 18-year-old Texan Khalid, Nigerian One Dance collaborator Wizkid, hip-hop artist Goldlink and band Muna– while we can also expect new records from Bryson Tiller, Pink! and perhaps from Miley Cyrus, who’s started work on her RCA follow-up to Bangerz.
Standout successful moves under the duo leadership include the transition of Miley Cyrus from a Disney star to a boundary-breaking pop behemoth, promo-shy Sia, who in 2016 was the third most played female artist on Spotify worldwide, Zayn who became the first British male artist to debut at No.1 in both in the US and UK with "Pillowtalk", before a No.1 album swiftly followed, fellow RCA signings Alicia Keys and Britney Spears who joined Sia in charting in the Top 5 of the Billboard 200, while No.1 US albums were secured by Kings of Leon and a cappella outfit Pentatonix.
In the same interview, they stated that "The music comes first. We are not a promotions-driven company – we are an A&R-driven company."
Tinashe will be on Audience Music next Friday, performing. The episode was recorded last year.
Tinashe surprises fan in this week's 'Crashed'
Crashed is a new web-series where family and friends can nominate a someone to meet one of their idols without them knowing. This week’s episode features Tinashe.
Here's a trailer:
And you can watch the full episode here, if you're in the US.
Tinie Tempah performed Text From Your Ex on The Graham Norton Show and Imani Williams filled for Tinashe
K-Pop star Somi dancing to "Ain't Ready" (track from Tinashe's 3rd mixtape Black Water)
source 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
"We are not a promotions-driven company – we are an A&R-driven company."
well that just explains everything
After Gigi's racist "joke" against Asians was exposed, Korean netizens discovered that she wasn't the only racist one in the family.
Bella and Anwar Hadid were in Korea 2 years ago where they were getting treatment for lyme disease at Yonsei Severance Hospital (apparently the best doctors working on lyme disease are at Yonsei) when Anwar posted this gem on Instagram:
The caption says: had to stand outside bc the starbucks smelled like chocolate and onions
Understandably, people were really mad. Some of the choice comments from news articles:
1. You come to our country where our Asian doctors are treating you for your disease and you make fun of us? Don't come here then!
2. I've heard of people saying we smell like garlic, but onion is a first.
3. This is why you can't trust foreigners who say they are so in love with Asian culture. It's all bullshit.
All the sources are in Korean since the English speaking world hasn't caught on yet to a 2 year old Instagram post and I couldn't find an English version. However, you can translate the sources I am providing below. Also, this is current news in Korea.
Sources: Instagram, Vogue Korea, Joongang News, and countless more if you need them.