Articles on this Page
- 12/07/16--16:17: _Gael Garcia Bernal ...
- 12/07/16--16:46: _Hairspray Live! pro...
- 12/07/16--17:18: _RPDR contestant bec...
- 12/07/16--17:20: _Publisher Cries "Ce...
- 12/07/16--17:28: _Britney Extending H...
- 12/07/16--17:29: _Kathy Griffin heckl...
- 12/07/16--17:41: _Chris Evans, Scarle...
- 12/07/16--17:45: _Vikings: New Teaser...
- 12/07/16--17:57: _A United Kingdom Of...
- 12/08/16--10:42: _Riz Ahmed Spammed R...
- 12/08/16--10:42: _marian hill ft. lau...
- 12/08/16--10:50: _Leonardo DiCaprio M...
- 12/08/16--11:08: _Mick Jagger becomes...
- 12/08/16--11:13: _Reign is cancelled ...
- 12/08/16--11:16: _Tini - Got Me Start...
- 12/08/16--11:26: _Ava DuVernay bought...
- 12/08/16--11:58: _Real World Cast Mem...
- 12/08/16--12:21: _The Hollywood Repor...
- 12/08/16--12:53: _Younger - Season 3 ...
- 12/08/16--12:57: _The Kardashian Sist...
- 12/07/16--16:17: Gael Garcia Bernal makes #losXVderubi parody video
- 12/07/16--16:46: Hairspray Live! promo + Viewing Post
- 12/07/16--17:20: Publisher Cries "Censorship" After Getting Called Out on Their Shit
- 12/07/16--17:28: Britney Extending Her Vegas Residency until 2019!
- 12/07/16--17:41: Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, and More on USO Holiday Tour Day 3
- 12/07/16--17:45: Vikings: New Teasers for 4.12 "The Vision"
- 12/07/16--17:57: A United Kingdom Official Trailer 1 (2016)
- 12/08/16--10:42: marian hill ft. lauren jauregui (from fifth harmony) - back to me
- 12/08/16--11:08: Mick Jagger becomes a father for the eighth time
- 12/08/16--11:13: Reign is cancelled by The CW
- 12/08/16--11:16: Tini - Got Me Started (Music Video)
- 12/08/16--11:26: Ava DuVernay bought her mother a house
- 12/08/16--11:58: Real World Cast Member Leaves After Making Racist Comment
- 12/08/16--12:21: The Hollywood Reporter's Director's Roundtable
- 12/08/16--12:53: Younger - Season 3 Finale Promo
- The hashtag #losXVderubi has been a trending topic in Mexico.
- The parents of Rubi Ibarra Garcia made a video to invite people to their daughter's quinceañera.
- The company that the parents hired to make the video posted it on their Facebook page.
- Ogarrio.com then posts the video on their site. The video becomes viral and over 1.2 million people have accepted the Facebook invite to go to Rubi's quince.
- Artists like Larry Hernandez announce that they are going too.
- There was a rumor that Rubi's parents cancelled the party because of the overwhelming response on social media. In a interview they denied the rumor and insist everyone is invited to Rubi's quince.
Y que tal que #losXVderubi sea un plan macabro de Trump para sacar Mexicanos y Latinos de los USAS.😳Que tal que vamos y nos pone el muro ? 😂— Johann Vera (@JohannVera1) December 7, 2016
Are you going to los quince de Rubi ONTD?
I hope a viewing post is okay, mods, since we had them for the previous live NBC musicals!
- Kelly Mantle is a RuPaul's Drag Race alumna who may be nominated for an Oscar
- The Academy announced it will let her be considered for best supporting actor and actress for her role in the indie film Confessions of a womanizer
- Kelly indentifies as gender fluid
- This is the first decision of its kind in Oscar history
- Director and writer Miguel Ali was the one who pushed for Mantle to be considered for both categories, and although she isn't nonimated yet he thinks this is a huge breakthrough
- He also believes the androgynous/transgendered community is the most untapped resource in Hollywood and needs more attention
There's a link to the scene submitted for consideration @ the SOURCE
Abrams Books, a publisher of illustrated books (known for Diary of a Wimpy Kid), came under fire recently after they published a book entitled "Bad Little Children's Books." The book is a compilation of "satirized" covers of children's books geared towards adults and meant to be humorous. However, after a piece on Book Riot, some of the pages of this book began to draw many eyebrows from the book community.
One of the most widely circulated pages of this book is an Islamophobic image of a little girl in a head covering bringing a bomb-wrapped present for her friend. The title on this cover is "Happy Burkaday, Timmy" and is authored by a "Ben Laden."
Another one related to Islam, authored and illustrated by "A. Yatollah."
Other circulated pages are one about Navajo small pox blankets. (Debbie Reese wrote a piece about why this image is offensive on her American Indians in Children's Literature blog. You can find it here.)
And "creepy" uncle making a dick shadow puppet (because child abuse and grooming is so funny).
This was of note to many because the author of this compilation, Arthur C Gackley, is the pseudonym of illustrator Bob Staake, who is also the author of many children's books. Since the uproar over the book, Staake has wiped traces of Bad Little Children's Books from his website. However, they're still available through internet archives.
After receiving criticism from many, Abrams Books quickly released a statement, digging their feet in as they doubled-down on their support for the book, referring to the above offensive depictions of marginalized groups as simply "parody" and "satire."
Abrams recently published an adult humor book called Bad Little Children’s Books, a collection of patently offensive parodies of children’s book covers. The book follows in the long tradition of parody that, with humor, attacks attitudes and built-in societal perceptions with equal ruthlessness. Its intention is to shine a spotlight on stereotypes about race, gender, and difference that have become commonplace in today’s world and to, in fact, skewer all levels of societal bias. This is exactly what successful parody and satire is meant to do.
It was never our intention as publisher, nor the author’s, to spread or support hateful messaging. Some reviewers and commenters on social media have taken elements of the book at face value, which, we believe, misses the point of the book as a work of artistic parody and satire. We stand by our publication and invite readers to make up their own minds.
Included with the above statement was a letter in support from the NCAC (National Coalition Against Censorship). However, their statement should be taken with a grain of salt because the President and CEO of Abrams Books, Michael Jacobs, is on the Board of Directors for the NCAC.
(Both the statement and letter can be found here in full.)
Following the above statement, people openly expressed their displeasure with Abrams Books, including top literary agent Barry Goldblatt, and authors Sarah MacLean, Angie Thomas, Laurie Halse Anderson, Jeff Zentner, and more.
@ABRAMSbooks I'm honestly disappointed that you all are crying "censorship." Critique of harmful material is not censorship. Ridiculous.— Angie Thomas (@acthomasbooks) December 3, 2016
how good satire works: you punch up. punching down at marginalized people with dangerous, wrong stereotypes? WHY WOULD YOU? @ABRAMSbooks— emery lord (@emerylord) December 3, 2016
1) Teachable moment. @ABRAMSbooks& author fail to understand: Real satire speaks to the balance of power, ie Swift's Modest Proposal.— Linda Sue Park (@LindaSuePark) December 5, 2016
2) Aiming barbs at the marginalized: NOT satire. It's callous, cruel, & funny only to (some of) those possessing the particular privilege.— Linda Sue Park (@LindaSuePark) December 5, 2016
Dear @ABRAMSbooks. Satire enlightens by encouraging thought. Ridicule, on the other hand, generates hostility by perpetuating stereotypes.— Joanne Harris (@Joannechocolat) December 3, 2016
@ABRAMSbooks What kind of satirist doesn't understand how to punch up instead of down? Is it a bad one? I think it's a bad one.— Jae Goodsell (@JAGoodsell) December 3, 2016
Just as @ABRAMSbooks is free to publish racist jokes and call them satire, readers are free to say that's neither funny nor acceptable.— Bailey (@the_author_) December 3, 2016
I want to be proud of the name of the publisher sitting inside my books. Please, @ABRAMSbooks, step forward and acknowledge this mistake.— Cat Winters (@catwinters) December 4, 2016
Censorship: it's illegal to say the thing— Sarah Gailey (@gaileyfrey) December 3, 2016
Not censorship: people say you're a racist piece of shit for saying the thing@ABRAMSbooks
The SPLC has recorded 900+ incidents of hate following the election. Now is not the time to ask Muslims to laugh at themselves @ABRAMSbooks— Jeff Zentner (@jeffzentner) December 3, 2016
If there's no context in which the target of the satire is being held up to ridicule, @ABRAMSbooks, then there's no satire.— Kurt Busiek (@KurtBusiek) December 3, 2016
After continuing to recieve criticism, Abrams issued another statement. This statement, as many have noted, had a very "sorry not sorry" feel to it, with them stating that Bad Little Children’s Books, which they made sure to state has received "glowing reviews,""is a work of parody and satire and, as such, it is intentionally, openly, and provocatively offensive." However, despite evidence to the contrary, they insist that "[their] books and [their] publishing house have never nor will ever stand for bigotry or hatred." They insist that critics, who are simply internet users and not the government and can't force a multi-million dollar company to do anything, are censoring them.
We have a long record of publishing and promoting creative expression in many forms. We stand fully behind freedom of speech and artistic expression, and fully support the First Amendment. We have been disheartened by calls to censor the book and to stifle the author’s right to express his artistic vision by people we would expect to promote those basic fundamental rights and freedoms.
The author's statement was also included alongside the above. In it, he states that he has "asked ABRAMS to cease publishing the book" because people who are upset by racism and other offensive imagery are simply misreading his work. Or not reading it at all, he notes. Staake/Gackley and his publisher seem to conveniently ignored that there were people who did pick it up and read it, which is how it came to the attention of the book community to begin with.
I have a copy. I read it. I didn't ask for an apology. I didn't ask that it be withdrawn. I spoke about it.— Debbie Reese (@debreese) December 5, 2016
BTW, @ABRAMSbooks, I didn't write about it out of context. I bought the garbage book & thought it trash from start to finish.— kelly jensen. (@veronikellymars) December 5, 2016
(Both Abrams's and Staake's final statements can be found here in full.)
Finally, although both their statements say that they are being censored because the work is being misread, Debbie Reese noted that before the Book Riot piece and the outrage that followed, Abrams (or at least the author) had been well aware of how offensive the book might be.
I'll be adding to this thread periodically. Here's a screen cap from 11/28/16. If it is fact (rather than more spoof), it tells us that... pic.twitter.com/FScNmwENuk— Debbie Reese (@debreese) December 4, 2016
Even as far back as September 7th, the author, under his real name, was posting about how this book was going to get banned. Under his psueodnym, Arthur Gackley was advertising it as something that was going to be banned.
... which (obviously) tells us Abrams knew it was going to be controversial. Here's a sample from giphy (open photo to see "buy the bk"). pic.twitter.com/3vPKjrl8zZ— Debbie Reese (@debreese) December 4, 2016
And in regards to people simply "misreading" their work, author KJ Charles has a response:
It is such a massive, obvious lie to market a book as "politically incorrect" and then claim you were doing social justice. @ABRAMSbooks— KJ Charles (@kj_charles) December 5, 2016
As some have noted, by crying "censorship," the publisher is making itself out to be a victim even though they'd been well aware of the offensiveness of their work. Some see it as a calculated risk on the part of Abrams, by portraying themselves as being attacked by the "PC/SJW mob."
I imagine someone out there calling this a witchhunt. Likely, a lot of sympathy for Staake. And Abrams. Seeing them as "injured" parties...— Debbie Reese (@debreese) December 4, 2016
This leaves a bad taste in my mouth, personally. The author himself is still claiming censorship and "falling onto a sword." https://t.co/wxkzWLQmX2— Sailor Mer(Kaye)ry (@gildedspine) December 5, 2016
Sources: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11 / 12 / 13 / 14 / 15 / 16 / 17 / 18 / 19 / 20 / 21 / 22 / 23 / 24 / 25 / 26 / 27 / 28 / 29 / 30 / 31 / 32 / 33 / 34 / 35 / 36 / 37 / 38 / 39 / 40 / 41 / 42 / 43 / 44
Debbie Reese has a great thread on Twitter in which she compiled this information. I recommend perusing it if you want more information that I may have missed here. The Huffington Post also did a pretty good piece on this. As that piece notes, although the author and publisher claim that the bigotry in the book is trying to "poke fun at racial, religious and ethnic stereotypes, but in practice only [emphasizes] them."
If you're a Britney fan you will have no excuse for not flying to Vegas to see Britney since reportedly the showgirl will be extending her Vegas residency until 2019.
-Her Vegas residency started in 2013.
-According to the production company responsible for the screens used in her show, Britney has plans to continue performing in Las Vegas until at least 2019.
-when asked if she'll ever tour again Britney recently responded:
"You never know, honestly, my situation right now is very cool, I'm kind of spoiled,".
will you be flying to Vegas to hear her perform her hits in CD quality?
Megyn Kelly was giving the opening remarks (why?) at the Women in Entertainment event, hosted by The Hollywood Reporter, today. Megyn said she has high hopes for Trump, that's when you hear Kathy boo, Megyn tells her to stop and then says some nonsense, to which Kathy says "fuck him".
Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Ray Allen, Maya DiRado, Craig Campbell, and Jim Karol have spent the past few days visiting Turkey and Qatar. Today they continued on the USO holiday tour with a visit to an air base in Afghanistan.
This USO tour has changed me. ENDLESS thanks to all the soldiers I met in Afghanistan, Qatar and Turkey. Your sacrifice is heroism defined. pic.twitter.com/mUQ1bfP4sP— Chris Evans (@ChrisEvans) December 7, 2016
NBA Legend Ray Allen plays one-on-one with an airman inside a hangar at Bagram Air Base, Afghanistan USO show. pic.twitter.com/9FurLITEDY— James A. Garamone (@GaramoneDODNews) December 7, 2016
Gen. Dunford and wife Ellyn watch as Jim Karol amazes a young FOB Gamberi soldier during a USO visit. pic.twitter.com/NEXzKATpyt— James A. Garamone (@GaramoneDODNews) December 7, 2016
Avengers assemble! Scarlett Johansson's helmet for USO tour. pic.twitter.com/bzoITwa0LH— James A. Garamone (@GaramoneDODNews) December 7, 2016
The guy in the center hanging off the ramp of a CH-47 over Afghanistan is NBA legend Ray Allen here for a USO tour. pic.twitter.com/mUJv2m18BI— James A. Garamone (@GaramoneDODNews) December 7, 2016
source: congo. jabaar madyun. chris evans. l drake. james garamone. ray allen. miss swan. briana morgan. maya dirado.
Source (1 + 2)
Mods, if you could please post this by 9 pm EST that would be wonderful
''Prince Seretse Khama of Botswana causes an international stir when he marries a white woman from London in the late 1940s. ''
is this song as bad as karla's or are both equally terrible?
* Discussed how jobs that help preserve the environment can boost the economy and presented Trump with a framework for economic revival that centered on sustainable infrastructure.
* Meeting lasted 90 minutes, during which DiCaprio presented Trump with a copy of his documentary Before The Flood. Ivanka had also recieved a copy.
* Trump was receptive and suggested another meeting in a month's time.
* He welcomed son, his eighth child, with 29-year-old ballerina Melanie Hamrick (Mick's 73 year old)
* he's eldest child is now 46
* he has a 4 daughters (Karis Hunt Jagger - 46, Jade Jagger - 45, Elizabeth - 32 and Georgia - 24) and 3 sons (James - 31, Gabriel - 18 and Lucas - 17)
The upcoming season 4 will be its last.
Surprised it made it past 13 episodes, tbh. And I say this as someone who watches this mess.
Martina Stoessel / Violetta / Future Queen of pop Released a music video for the second bop single from her Debut album "TINI"
Ontd are you ready to give up on ur flop faves and worship this angel from Argentina and her bops?
What have you done for your mother lately?
Real World Bad Blood and ex Are You The One (he left Are You The One For Pushing a woman cast member during a fight) star Mike Crescenzo has left another MTV show and this time it is for a racist comment.
Mike makes a comment to Jordan, the woman Mike is dating in the house, about her baby hairs and she talks about how black men love them. In the video above Mike proceeds to say that he's sure they do and "you guys can rub coconut oil on your ashy ass skin".
Earlier in the episode, the discussion of letting white people say the N word comes out because Mike also uses it freely in the house. One house member is not here for it though.
Jordan tells the house about his comment and Mike can't take people talking about it, yells at Jordan (don't have the video) and leaves. Not before playing the white tears victim role however and claiming he doesn't know better...
1. I did this on my phone so I hope this is accepted. 2. Fuck MTV for giving him another show after pushing a woman. 3. Never let white people get away with racism and that includes saying the N word.
Full transcript is up at the source!
Participants are Mel Gibson (Hacksaw Ridge), Denzel Washington (Fences), Oliver Stone (Snowden), Barry Jenkins (Moonlight), Damien Chazelle (La La Land) and Mira Nair (Queen of Katwe)
They talked inspiration and technicalities and also revived the ghost of contenders past, Nate Parker!
On whether it was fair people refused to see Birth of a Nation, noted anti-semite, sexual harasser and domestic abuser Mel Gibson had this to say:
I don't think it's fair. He was cleared of all that stuff [a rape trial in which Parker was found not guilty]. And it was years ago. You have to follow the system there. I think he's innocent of all that stuff. The fact that he has to live with that stigma, and that it affects the art he does, is unfair.
The inclusion of Stone and Nair is... bizarre.
In the one-hour season finale, Liza draws closer to Charles at the Hamptons Book Fair. Kelsey feels erased from Colin's narrative. A famous life coach, whose book Empirical is pursuing, forces Liza to face hard truths. (Combined episodes 3x11 and 3x12 air Dec. 14)
Because she will cheapen their brand and reputation.
Kardashian Sisters -- Crush Blac Chyna's Biz Dreams ... You'll Never Be One of Us https://t.co/T1EdNa6cTu— TMZ (@TMZ) December 8, 2016
- Chyna has requested to trademark "Angela Renee Kardashian" to use for entertainment, social media purposes.
- The Klan sisters got word of this and had their companies(Khloemoney Inc., 2Die4Kourt and Kimsaprincess Inc.) sent documents opposing her request saying if Chyna gets the trademark they will "suffer damage including irreparable injury to their reputation and goodwill".
- They also say Blac Chyna is "deliberately seeking to profit from the goodwill and popularity" of the Kardashian name.
- Angela Renee (Blac Chyna) & Rob Kardashian are expected to tie the knot in late 2017 and Angela plans on taking her fiance's last name.
The Kardashians: We Don't Want Blac Chyna Ruining Our Name! pic.twitter.com/rSFLN5AfEv— TMZ (@TMZ) December 8, 2016