Articles on this Page
- 01/04/17--12:04: _Amber Heard asks Jo...
- 01/04/17--13:48: _Best and Worst LGBT...
- 01/04/17--13:48: _ Jonathan Rhys Meye...
- 01/04/17--13:49: _Kpop MEGA Post: NC...
- 01/04/17--13:51: _ Dustin Lance Black...
- 01/04/17--13:51: _Luke Arnold talks B...
- 01/04/17--13:51: _Adam Driver says th...
- 01/04/17--13:52: _Austin Mahone Drops...
- 01/04/17--13:52: _The ONTD 2017 Readi...
- 01/04/17--13:59: _Anna Kendrick discu...
- 01/04/17--13:59: _Dr. Luke Gets Permi...
- 01/04/17--14:28: _Writers Guild Award...
- 01/04/17--14:28: _Star Wars Rebels Se...
- 01/04/17--05:52: _Amazon renews The M...
- 01/04/17--18:10: _Degrassi: Next Clas...
- 01/04/17--18:11: _Vikings: New Sneak ...
- 01/04/17--18:11: _Tabloid Cover Wedne...
- 01/04/17--19:07: _Michael Keaton reve...
- 01/04/17--19:08: _bryan cranston to a...
- 01/04/17--19:09: _MAC is majorly expa...
- 01/04/17--12:04: Amber Heard asks Johnny Depp for more money, he refuses
- 01/04/17--13:48: Best and Worst LGBTQ TV Characters of 2016
- 01/04/17--13:48: Jonathan Rhys Meyers welcomes first child
- 01/04/17--13:49: Kpop MEGA Post: NCT 127,MIXX,Seo In Guk & More!
- Resident Treasure Island expert among the cast.
- His favourite episodes are 303 (the doldrums/shark date) and 409, hasn’t seen 410 yet.
- “Thing that switches on behind [Toby Stephen’s] eyes between “action” and “cut”, it’s something else. [...] When Flint comes out, it’s really bizarre, and [...] in season three, around the same time, myself, Luke Roberts and Toby Schmitz all had [...] to look Flint in the eye, and have a moment. And after each of them the three of us would get together and go,“Guys, this gotta be it. I stared into Flint today.””
- (7:00) Filming the doldrums was a challenge, because it was incredibly windy on-set: ”It’s a gale going by. [...] It’s why I had to wear the ponytail in that episode, because they had to glue my hair down, because the wind was blowing the whole time.”
- (10:00) Is just as upset as the rest of us that Toby Stephens isn’t winning all the awards, but also feels that the whole award business feels very removed from the work itself, which he’s more than satisfied with
- Emphasizes multiple times that no, “I might be your end” was not a threat - Silver is worried about Flint, you guys!
- Actually auditioned for Vane, but couldn’t compete with Zach’s audition opener: “My name is Zach McGowan and I am Charles Vane.” Luke fondly calls Zach an “inhumane beast who will do anything”.
- (13:50) Thinks it’s an Australian thing both he and Toby Schmitz (Jack Rackham) made their characters “not very cool”.
- (20:50) Central relationship was always meant to be Silver and Flint. → “Flint and Silver barely talk in S1, [Silver goes to] being kind of begrudging henchman in S2, to quartermaster/captain, at each other then learning how to work together in S3 [...] and wherever that goes from there, we’ll have to see.” Says at the start of S4, they’re basically best friends, or what passes in their world.
- (23:42) Talks about the extensive rehearsals and preparations prior to filming, which he’s never seen to this extent on a tv show, saying it often felt much like rehearsing a play.
- When Silver says he’ll be Flint’s end, he refers to seeing the pattern of Flint being an unstoppable force of destruction, including to those closest to him. Says that Silver is, unlike his previous partners, aware of it and “if this time it’s not me, it’s probably going to be you - and that worries me for you”.
- Thinks Silver and Rackham probably interacted between seasons, and wishes there were after-credits scenes after each episode of the two drinking and gossiping.
- (48:00) Who is Solomon Little? Will we finally get Silver backstory in S4? Luke says it will be “dealt with in S4, in a very interesting way”.
- (50:25) Explains how Madi represents a different style of leading from the other influences Silver has had, and how the Maroon Islanders’ story is really its own thing, and essentially the pirates are a thorn in their side. (Which is true lbr.)
- (55:00) Compares Treasure Island's Long John Silver with the character in Black Sails, and how in many ways he is already there.
- (55:55) Explains how Silver’s stomping ritual ties into his style of leadership and narrative power, how he creates the pirate myth in-universe while he’s living it himself, and uses it to get men to follow him and seek his approval.
- (1:13:30) Describes his favourite moments. (Hint: they’re basically all the Silver/Flint scenes. Highlight is “and Flint smiles in the beginning of S4”, what a nerd <3)
- (1:21:00) Randall: half-wit or secret genius?
- (1:25:00) Analyzes how essentially Silver is the one who narratively benefited the most from people dying; Gates died to clear space at Flint’s side, same for Billy’s temporary disappearance, same for Miranda.
- 01/04/17--13:52: Austin Mahone Drops New EP 'ForMe+You'
- 01/04/17--13:52: The ONTD 2017 Reading Challenge!
- Each month, read a book that corresponds to the category.
- No page limit.
- It can be a book that you’ve already read.
- Novellas, graphic novels, and anthologies can count toward a category.
- If you missed a month, you can go back and read a previous month’s task.
- Keep us updated on how your reading challenge is going on our book posts!
- 01/04/17--14:28: Writers Guild Awards Film Nominees Announced
- 01/04/17--14:28: Star Wars Rebels Season 3 - Mid-Season Trailer
- 01/04/17--05:52: Amazon renews The Man in the High Castle for a third season
- Been renewed for a third season.
- Will get a new showrunner, Eric Overmyer, who was EP for Bosch (another Amazon show).
- Season 2 was the most-watched Amazon show during it's debut weekend.
- Amazon's head of comedy and drama said, “As timely as ever, the exploration of characters at a dark point for humanity has provided incredible stories for two seasons. Eric and his team are doing an incredible job crafting stories about the inner lives of those who struggle to do good in a world that is not. We couldn’t be more excited to bring season three to customers in 2017”.
- 01/04/17--18:11: Tabloid Cover Wednesday
- 01/04/17--19:07: Michael Keaton reveals why he didn't do Batman Forever
- 01/04/17--19:08: bryan cranston to appear in franco’s the masterpiece
- 01/04/17--19:09: MAC is majorly expanding their Caitlyn Jenner collection
Johnny Depp Tells Judge Amber Heard Just Wants Her 15 Minutes https://t.co/Q2UliFLYTG— TMZ (@TMZ) January 3, 2017
Amber recently filed legal docs asking for more money, but Johnny doesn't want to give in to her requests
According to Johnny's lawyer, Laura Wasser: "Her request is entirely unnecessary under the law and suggests a last-ditch effort to garner media attention and somehow further her public persona by virtue of proximity to Johnny Depp."
Today Autostraddle released a list of the best and worst LGBTQ characters of 2016 with running commentary you can read for youself at the source.
Here are a few of the names they mention.
Highlights from the best list:
- Luisa from Jane the Virgin
- Lexa from The 100 (DISAGREE)
- Amy from Faking It
- Alex from Supergirl
Highlights from the wrost list:
- Maggie from Supergirl
- Half the cast of Pretty Little Liars
- Piper from OITNB
Who are your favorites, ONTD? Will you miss any of 2016's dead or cancelled queer women characters as much as I will (bye forever Amy Raudenfeld)?
Jonathan Rhys Meyers has reportedly become a father for the first timehttps://t.co/jPEVlGvWza— Irish Sun (@IrishSunOnline) January 4, 2017
Jonathan Rhys Meyers has become a first-time father after ‘welcoming a son called Wolf’
NCT 127 are back appropiating hairstyles with "Limitless" (which also has a choreography MV)
MIXX "Love is a sudden" a sudden what? idk...
VARSITY "U r my only one"
Seo In Guk "Bebe"
APRIL "April Story" in January!
Whats been your fav 2017 release so far? Are you tired of groups dancing in front of a neon blue/red wall?
Oscar-winning screenwriter Dustin Lance Black has said he has no respect for actors who lie about their sexuality.
Black, who is engaged to the British Olympic diver Tom Daley, said: “I have no respect for someone who lies about their sexuality. At the very least say ‘no comment’, just keep your personal life personal. If you’re going to closet yourself, that sends a negative message.”
He said: “I’ve never encountered homophobia in casting from the studios or networks – not once, not ever. Where you encounter it is with the agents and the managers, they’re the ones who have an outdated notion of the price an actor might pay if it’s discovered that they’re LGBTQ. Often they don’t want to see anything happen that might compromise their investment.”
He added: “I think they cripple their actors because they stunt the star’s ability to be open and honest, and an audience can feel that.”
Luke Arnold recently guested on the Black Sails fancast Fathoms Deep to discuss the show at length.
You can listen to it in full at the source, but I also took a treasure chest full of notes. (The full interview is worth it though, so much in-depth analysis!)
In conclusion: Luke is possibly the biggest Toby Stephens fan out there and has a lot of deep thoughts about character development, narrative, overarching themes, and the joys of kicking someone’s head in while a rotation of stage hands use toothbrushes to attractively spray you with fake blood.
Source: Fathoms Deep Podcast
ontd, have you too been blessed with perfect hair?
Speaking to Larry King, Adam Driver explained how Kylo Ren will show a new side in Episode VIII - and it might not be what you would expect.
Larry: Without giving away any spoilers, what’s one aspect about Kylo Ren you’re excited you’re excited for fans to see in the next film?
Adam: I think, erm, maybe this is such a general answer but you know – humanity. Even though it’s very much a blockbuster movie, there was no taking that for granted and that we were forced to be general. There was a lot of plot points that we knew were operating in the first one, that we get to explain more in the second one, to make both of them make sense. But they do kind of feel socially active to me, and George Lucas originally, a lot of Star Wars was in response to Vietnam and a lot of what I remember talking about with JJ and Rian was this idea of terrorism, and two sides being morally justified to behave however they wanted to to get whatever they thought was absolutely correct.
Adam Driver is also pictured at the New York Critics Circle awards on 3 January.
So ONTD - what do you make of Adam's comments here/what do you think they indicate about what they might do with the character in Episode VIII?
source 1/source 2
1 Love at Night (feat. Juicy J)
2 Pretty and Young
3 Lady (feat. Pitbull)
4 Better with You
5 Double Up
6 Wait Around
7 Except for Us
8 Shake It for Me (feat. 2 Chainz)
Sources Austin Mahone. Instagram. Apple Music.
2017 already off to a great start!
The rules are simple:
It's always fun to read a book before it is made into a movie or TV show - you'll get to complain about all the things the adaptation didn't get right in the ONTD posts about it.
These are just SOME of the books that fit into this category:
Hidden Figures - Margot Lee Shetterly
The Dark Tower - Stephen King
American Gods - Neil Gaiman
Murder on the Orient Express - Agatha Christie
Live by Night - Dennis Lehane
A Wrinkle in Time - Madeleine L'Engle
The Invisible Man - HG Wells
Big Little Lies - Liane Moriarty
Wonder - RJ Palacio
Captain Underpants - Dav Pilkey
Jumanji - Chris Van Allsburg
The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith
The Zookeeper's Wife - Diane Ackerman
The Circle - Dave Eggers
The Mountain Between Us - Charles Martin
Red Sparrow - Jason Matthews
The Sense of an Ending - Julian Barnes
The Handmaiden's Tale - Margaret Atwood
It - Stephen King
FEBRUARY - “We are all learning”
I’m glad we are having this conversation. It’s time (to read some non-fiction!). This month, pick up a non-fiction book that you can learn something from. Some examples:
King Leopold’s Ghost - Adam Hochschild
The Hot Zone - Richard Preston
Citizen - Claudia Rankine
In Order to Live - Yeonmi Park
Cosmos - Carl Sagan
The Emperor of all Maladies - Siddhartha Mukherjee
The Universe in a Nutshell - Stephen Hawking
Racism: a Short History - George Fredrickson
We Should All Be Feminists - bell hooks
Night - Elie Wiesel
Every 12 Seconds - Timothy Pachirat
Born in Blood and Fire: a Concise History of Latin America - John Chasteen
Dogland - Jacki Skole
The Gift of Fear - Gavin de Becker
MARCH - A book recommended by a celeb
Any celebrity, although it is more fun if you can find something your fave has read and liked. We've had some posts about celebrities' favourite books (here and here), Emma Watson and Florence Welch both have book clubs, you can check out the several celebrity recs at One Grand, or google other lists.
APRIL - A book that has been adapted into an Oscar-nominated movie
There is actually a LOT to choose from. These are just some of them:
Gone With the Wind - Margaret Mitchell
Room - Emma Donoghue
The Price of Salt - Patricia Highsmith
The Martian - Andy Weir
Brooklyn - Colm Tóibín
Cold Mountain - Charles Frazier
The Color Purple - Alice Walker
The Danish Girl - David Ebershoff
Wild - Cheryl Strayed
No Country for Old Men - Cormac McCarthy
The Return of the King - JRR Tolkien
Q&A - Vikas Swarup
Who Goes There? - John W. Campbell, Jr.
12 Years a Slave - Solomon Northup
A more detailed list of books can be found here, at the Oscar’s Library.
MAY - A book that starts with one of the letters in "ONTD"
(The article "The" doesn't count)
Othello - William Shakespeare
Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens
Of Human Bondage - W. Somerset Maugham
Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood
Old Man's War - John Scalzi
Northern Lights - Phillip Pullman
N or M? - Agatha Christie
Never Let Me Go - Zakuo Ishiguro
Northanger Abbey - Jane Austen
North & South - Elizabeth Gaskell
Noughts & Crosses - Malorie Blackman
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas
The Three-Body Problem - Liu Cixin
This Savage Song - Victoria Schwab
Three Dark Crowns - Kendare Blake
The Two Towers - JRR Tolkien
Dracula - Bram Stoker
Dark Places - Gillian Flynn
Devil in Winter - Lisa Kleypas
Dealing With Dragons - Patricia C Wrede
Dare Me - Megan Abbott
JUNE - “No fam, it was I!”
Last year gemdiamandis became an ONTD legend after one of her tumblr posts was misattributed to Alan Rickman and went viral after his death. This month, read a book about identity theft (examples here), impostors (list examples here and here), or hoaxes (examples here and here).
JULY - “I don’t know her”
Read a book by a female author whom you have never read anything by. If you need ideas of women authors, you can check out this list.
AUGUST - FFAF (Free for All Fiction)
This month, read any fiction book you’d like!
SEPTEMBER - A book recommended in an ONTD Book Post
We have regular book posts on ONTD and they are a great way of finding new books to read. It can be something recommended in the post itself, or a book that an ONTDer says they liked, or you can ask for more specific recs in the comments!
OCTOBER - “It’s darksided!”
Gargoyles, psychics, everything’s ungodly! October is a month for spooky reads! Here are some suggestions:
Ghost Story - Peter Straub
My Best Friend’s Exorcism - Grady Hendrix
White is for Witching - Helen Oyeyemi
The Child Thief - Brom
The Graveyard Apartment - Mariko Koike
Night Film - Marisha Pessl
The House Next Door - Anne Rivers Sidons
Certain Dark Things - Silvia Moreno-Garcia
The Haunting of Hill House - Shirley Jackson
Harvest Home - Thomas Tryon
The Diviners - Libba Bray
Audition - Ryu Murakami
Annihilation - Jeff Vandermeer
One Thousand and One Ghosts - Alexandre Dumas
The Suicide Motor Club - Christopher Buehlman
NOVEMBER - A book written by a celeb
Modern Romance - Aziz Ansari
Year of Yes - Shonda Rhimes
Just Kids - Patti Smith
Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology - Leah Remini
Not My Father's Son - Alan Cumming
Choose Your Own Autobiography - Neil Patrick Harris
Is It Just Me? - Miranda Hart
Yes Please - Amy Poehler
Down the Rabbit Hole - Holly Madison
Little Girl Lost - Drew Barrymore
Wishful Drinking - Carrie Fisher
In the Country We Love - Diane Guerrero
DECEMBER - A book that won an award in 2017
Any award you want - you can go high-brow with the Nobel Prize in Literature, the Man Booker Prize or the National Book Award, explore what’s best in speculative fiction with the Hugo and Nebula awards, get scared by the Shirley Jackson or Bram Stoker Awards, read women with the Baileys Women’s Prize for Fiction, fall in love with the Romance Writers of America (RITA Awards), etc!
Source: written by milfordacademy and hjalmartazar
On the wider issue of sexism in Hollywood:
“It shouldn’t be the most important conversation about sexism – because no one really wants to fucking hear actors talk about this, because we’re in such positions of privilege… I would love to hear more about sexism that exists in other fields and how we can address that – but we keep getting asked about it.”
When asked if she thinks celebrities have a responsibility to use their platform to talk about ‘issues’:
“Well, it’s weird, isn’t it, because I feel like why would anybody want my ‘expert opinion’ on any of these topics? If you want to learn about intersectional feminism, read Roxanne Gay, don’t ask me, you know? I’m being asked to speak on these things when I’m trying to learn about them myself.”
Are you too privileged to talk about sexism, ONTD?
A private text message from Kesha to Gaga sent in April 2016 was added as evidence in Kesha's ongoing sexual assault case against Dr. Luke. Curiously, a judge is granting Dr. Luke permission to show the text to Katy Perry.
This seems very gossip girl meets law n order, what do you think was said in the text ONTD??
The nominees are:
Hell or High Water, Written by Taylor Sheridan
La La Land, Written by Damien Chazelle
Loving, Written by Jeff Nichols*
Manchester by the Sea, Written by Kenneth Lonergan
Moonlight, Written by Barry Jenkins, Story by Tarell McCraney*
*will be competing in the adapted race at the Oscars
Arrival, Screenplay by Eric Heisserer; Based on the Story “Story of Your Life” by Ted Chiang
Deadpool, Written by Rhett Reese & Paul Wernick; Based on the X-Men Comic Books
Fences, Screenplay by August Wilson; Based on his Play
Hidden Figures, Screenplay by Allison Schroeder and Theodore Melfi; Based on the Book by Margot Lee Shetterly
Nocturnal Animals, Screenplay by Tom Ford; Based on the Novel Tony and Susan by Austin Wright
Author: The JT LeRoy Story, Written by Jeff Feuerzeig
Command and Control, Telescript by Robert Kenner & Eric Schlosser, Story by Brian Pearle and Kim Roberts; Based on the book Command and Control by Eric Schlosser
Zero Days, Written by Alex Gibney
what were your fav scripts this year, ontd??
Yessssssssss. Season 3 wishlist?
-He didn't understand what Schumacher wanted to do
-when Schumacher asked why the films had to be so dark, Keaton knew it was time to jump ship
Fun little side note: Marlon Wayans was originally cast as Dick Grayson before Tim Burton got the boot and he gets residuals from the film due to his contract being broken.
- bryan cranston to appear in franco's upcoming film, the masterpiece, a comedic look behind-the-scenes of tommy wiseau’s disastrous 2003 drama, the room
- in a recent interview with south china morning post, franco revealed that bryan cranston, playing himself
- the masterpiece has built up a pretty phenomenal cast. along with franco, braff, and now cranston, the cast includes seth rogen, josh hutcherson, ari graynor, jacki weaver, hannibal buress, andrew santino, zac efron, alison brie, and sharon stone
- the masterpiece is scheduled to open sometime in 2017
MAC partnered with Caitlyn last year to release one lipstick shade, and yesterday they announced that a new Caitlyn collection comprised of lip glosses, eyeshadows, lip pencils, eyelashes, lipsticks, and blushes will be released on January 5th.
Mineralize Skinfinish in "Compassion" — $33
Powder Blush Duo in "Buddy" — $29
Lipsticks in "Rockit!" and "Authentic" — $17 each
Eye Shadows in "Glowing Gold," "Malibu Bronze," and "Worthy" — $17 each
Eye Kohl in "Teddy" — $17
Cremesheen Glasses (AKA lip glosses) in "Beautifully Bare," "Kindness Gold," and "Tolerance" — $21 each
Lip Pencils in "Soar" and "Whirl" — $17.50
Caitlyn Jenner Lashes — $17