Articles on this Page
- 12/20/16--12:01: _Lena Dunham Hasn't ...
- 12/20/16--12:39: _ONTD original: 10 F...
- 12/20/16--12:40: _Kendall Jenner and ...
- 12/20/16--13:59: _Fifth Harmony Fans ...
- 12/20/16--14:10: _The Most Overrated ...
- 12/20/16--14:21: _Who went home on Am...
- 12/20/16--15:18: _Overwatch’s first-e...
- 12/20/16--15:48: _Vanderpump Rules s5...
- 12/20/16--16:25: _Power Rangers Reboo...
- 12/20/16--16:25: _Rob and Blac Chyna ...
- 12/20/16--16:40: _Little Mix for PAPE...
- 12/20/16--17:28: _Batfleck will be a ...
- 12/20/16--18:08: _See the first offic...
- 12/20/16--18:18: _Twelve Days of ONTD...
- 12/21/16--08:27: _Michaels Shannon, P...
- 12/21/16--09:38: _Breaking News: Kid ...
- 12/21/16--09:43: _Nelly Furtado: “Pip...
- 12/21/16--09:48: _ONTD Roundup
- 12/21/16--10:32: _Paul McCartney, Jim...
- 12/21/16--10:55: _Michele Morgan: Fre...
- 12/20/16--12:01: Lena Dunham Hasn't Had an Abortion and Feels Left Out
- 12/20/16--12:39: ONTD original: 10 Famous Authors and Their Favourite Books
- 12/20/16--13:59: Fifth Harmony Fans Plead for Demi Lovato to "Save" the Group
- 12/20/16--14:10: The Most Overrated & Underrated Films Of 2016
- 12/20/16--14:21: Who went home on America's Next Top Model 23x02?
- 12/20/16--15:18: Overwatch’s first-ever LGBT character has been revealed
- 12/20/16--15:48: Vanderpump Rules s5e7; Stassi has breakdown
- 12/20/16--16:25: Power Rangers Reboot: It's Spoilerin' Time!
- 12/20/16--16:40: Little Mix for PAPER Penthouse & MTV
- 12/20/16--17:28: Batfleck will be a Cool Dad (new pic)
- 12/20/16--18:08: See the first official images from The Cormoran Strike Mysteries
- 12/20/16--18:18: Twelve Days of ONTD: Day 6
- 12/21/16--08:27: Michaels Shannon, Peña and Thor Film War Movie Together
- 12/21/16--09:43: Nelly Furtado: “Pipe Dreams” MV
- 12/21/16--09:48: ONTD Roundup
- Fifth Harmony's Camila Release Statement About Breakup
- Margot Robbie Confirms Marriage
- Kendall Jenner and Justin Bieber caught sneaking onto a plane together
- Lena Dunham Hasn't Had an Abortion and Feels Left Out
- ONTD original: 10 Famous Authors and Their Favourite Books
- Twelve Days of ONTD: Day 6
- Yesterday's ONTD Roundup
- 12/21/16--10:55: Michele Morgan: French actress and glamour icon dies at 96
On her podcast, Lena wishes she had had an abortion so she could feel more involved in combatting the stigma against abortion.
J.K. Rowling (author of Harry Potter)
Favourite book: The Woman Who Walked Into Doors, by Roddy Doyle.(OP note: it's about an abusive relationship)
"It is the most remarkable book. Roddy Doyle gets inside the head of his character so utterly, so completely. I don't think I've ever encountered such a believable, fully rounded female character from any other heterosexual male writer in any age. I should emphasize that I would feel the same way about the book if it had been written by a woman; I would still think it was the most remarkable achievement. But when I sit back and think, 'A man wrote this?'—phenomenal. He has created a woman who, you imagine, will go to the bathroom and defecate. He also leaves her with her dignity, even though what she's going through is a horrific thing. And he does it all in such a subtle way. I do think he's a genius. His dialogue is irreproachable. And your heart...you're totally drawn into his books. I'm very passionate about Roddy Doyle, and I've never met him, which is a frustration to me".
Zadie Smith (author of White Teeth)
Middlemarch, by George Eliot(Her full list of favourites here)
"A work of genius. But more important—and from a purely selfish point of view—a woman wrote it. That might seem ridiculous to male writers, but a man never has to think twice about the gender of genius. He's got too many examples on his side of the fence. Eliot was the first woman I read who could go toe-to-toe with, say, Tolstoy. I was 15. Since then, I've learned how many grand achievements in the novel have been female, but when I was a teenager, that was news to me".
Marlon James (author of A Brief History of Seven Killings)
Favourite classic: Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen
"Because nobody has ever been slyer with characters than Austen. It still blows my mind that her unsavory and unfortunate characters — Mrs. Bennet, Lady Catherine, Charlotte — are the only ones who truly know what time it is."
Elena Ferrante (author of My Brilliant Friend)
Favourite overlooked book: History, by Elsa Morante
"It's the story of Ida Mancuso, a widow, a mother, a Jew frightened by the racial laws of 1938, who in 1941 is raped by a German soldier and becomes pregnant. It's a stunning book about the insecurity that erodes the lives of those who, for the sin of being born, as Morante suggests, can be devoured and annihilated at any moment by 'the universal power'. Morante infuses the conventions of the novel with an innovative spirit, with uninhibited modernity. One reads with one's heart in one's throat".
Emily St. John Mandel (author of Station Eleven)
Favourite overlooked book: Submergence, by J.M. Ledgard
It is a masterpiece, and so it deserves your attention. Ledgard interweaves the stories of Danielle Flinders, a biomathematician preparing to descend in a submersible to the bottom of the Greenland Sea, and James More, a British spy being held captive by jihadists in Somalia. The two met and fell in love some time ago, and now they are reunited—at least in their thoughts. As a writer, I find there are books that serve as guides to the kind of work I'd wish to write. Submergence is a shining model that both sings with tension and radiates immense humanity and tenderness.
Helen Fielding (author of Bridget Jones' Diary)
Madame Bovary, by Gustave Flaubert(Her full list of favourites here)
I was probably supposed to read this book when I studied literature at university, but I spent a lot of time playing pool and wound up picking it up for the first time last year when I moved to America and put myself on a self-improvement program. It's the portrait of a young wife in provincial France who's dissatisfied with her life and her husband, whom she deems dull and crusty. Eventually, she becomes intoxicated and humiliated by another man. I've always identified with someone who has fallen for the impossibly sexy man and finds it all going horribly wrong.
Sue Monk Kidd (author of The Secret Life of Bees)
The Awakening, by Kate Chopin(Her full list of favourites here)
"Chopin writes about a woman's, Edna Pontellier's, struggle against the limitations of her culture. I read it when I was 19 and it woke me up to my own journey, breaking through the limitations of growing up as a girl in the '50s, coming of age in the '60s in the South, prefeminist America. I had to find my own truth, my own voice and not one that was the voice imposed upon me. Reading this book, I became aware."
Hilary Mantel (author of Wolf Hall)
Book that has had the most impact on her: The Complete Works of Shakespeare, William Shakespeare
I’m sorry if it sounds pious, unoriginal and smug, but no book has mattered to me as much as the dirt-cheap Complete Works of Shakespeare I laid my hands on when I was 10. Previously I’d only read one scene from “Julius Caesar” that I found in an ancient schoolbook. It definitely qualified as the best thing I’d ever read, and I almost exploded with joy when I found there was a whole fat book of plays. I was a strange child.
Margaret Atwood (author of The Handmaid's Tale)
Favourite fairy tales: The Juniper Tree, Fitcher's Bird, The Robber Bridegroom, The Goose Girl at the Well - all by the brothers Grimm
"My four favorites are “The Juniper Tree” (mysterious, charged with energy, transmigration of souls, the enchanting power of musical art — all this and cannibalism, too); “Fitcher’s Bird” (a Bluebeard’s Castle variant; how satisfying to have a central character who wins out over the ogre of a magician by being clever, and does not have to be rescued by anyone else; I based a story called “Bluebeard’s Egg” on this story and its relatives); “The Robber Bridegroom,” which I used in a novel called “The Robber Bride,” since if gender roles are to be distributed equally, there have to be villainesses as well as villains, and why should the Devil have all the good lines? And, finally, “The Goose Girl at the Well,” a haunting story that I still haven’t figured out to my own satisfaction. Not that one has to figure these stories out. The best of them have the force of myth. Their meaning is renewed with every fresh reading".
Tana French (author of The Likeness)
Favourite fictional hero: King Arthur in The Once and Future King, by T.H. White
I love T. H. White’s King Arthur in “The Once and Future King.” Arthur is such an iconic figure that in most versions of the legend he’s flattened under that weight into nothing but an icon, a pawn of the story; he’s not a three-dimensional human being. White makes him utterly human, and makes his greatness and heroism lie within that flawed humanity, rather than negating it. I read the book when my mother gave it to me to keep me occupied on a long-haul flight, and it was the first time I realized just how complex and contradictory characters (and adults, for that matter) could be.
it's a book post!
It was Kendall going on a Jet with Justin to fly to Utah on December 16th, now they are back in LA and Kendall is with Gigi!😊 pic.twitter.com/c9ShsVqKny— Patric Mueller (@MuellerPatric11) December 20, 2016
• justin was spotted flying to utah with a "mystery girl". fans tried to guess who
• singer? named madison beer confirmed it was actually kendall
• kendall is bff to hailey baldwin who previously dated bieber on/off for years
• hailey & co shared these on social media
Florido (florid0) via Snapchat: pic.twitter.com/4eQ1JojpcZ— Hailey Baldwin News (@HailsUpdates) December 20, 2016
listening to The Weeknd and the guy says "not cool" and she gets all 😱
sources: 1, 2, 3
ontd, would you hook up with the guy who broke your bff's heart behind her back?
Just days after Camila Cabello announced her departure from Fifth Harmony, fans of the pop group have banded together on Twitter, petitioning Demi Lovato to "save them" from bad management by signing them to her own record label, Safehouse Records.
The trending hashtag, #DemiSave5HSafeHouse, comes in the wake of a leaked audio clip of group member Lauren equating their treatment to "literal slavery."
Demi was a judge and mentor on the second season of The X-Factor, and helped put the girls into the group. She created Safehouse Records in 2015 with Nick Jonas and their manager, Phil McIntyre, with a goal of putting artists in control of their art. The remaining members of Fifth Harmony are currently signed to Syco, a British entertainment company created by Simon Cowell.
Source, 2, 3
Critics decided what films were overrated and underrated -
• "Manchester by the Sea" - brings nothing new to the table
• "The Jungle Book" - fairly satisfying, but an inconsequential film. Was overhyped by critics.
• "La La Land" - Basically says Damien Chazelle is talented and is able to trick you into thinking the movie has meaning.
• "Miss Sloane" - a fast moving and fun film
• "The Neon Demon" - "weird, wild, stylized horror", thinks Refn makes bad films to upset audiences and they respect that.
ONTD, what are your overrated/underrated films of 2016?
More @ the SOURCE
Honestly, I think they only kept CoryAnne 'cause she's the daughter of a supermodel.
Justine is gorgeous (and the youngest), she had a lot more potential.
- The new Tyra Mail is Rita's Alert, and it looks like it was filmed on her cellphone
- The girls had a discussion where the basic blonde (Paige, I think) was saying she's suuuper aware of her privilege and wants to do sooo much better, supports BLM and Giah (a black girl) was totally feeling her speech, saying they (Black Americans) don't know where they come from, then Binta got heated and yelled YOU'RE FROM AFRICA
- Stacey Mackenzie was their runway coach this week, shared her story and cried
- Zendaya was a guest, picked Kyle as the winner and is going to share their selfie on her social media
- Rita remains doing good by Tyra's legacy by talking about herself and using herself as an example every chance she gets
- Next week is the make over episode
source: me & my stream link
Overwatch’s first-ever queer character has been revealed! https://t.co/LxETNtQnR7— Polygon (@Polygon) December 20, 2016
In Overwatch's latest comic "Reflections" which take places during the holidays it was revealed that Tracer, who is known as the main face of Overwatch, is in a romantic relationship with a new character named Emily. It was confirmed in BlizzCon back in November that someone in the current roster was going to be lgbt. Read the comic which is filled with more lore for the other characters as well HERE.
I'm so happy about this you have no idea 💖
(I fixed the code mods)
Watch last night's ep here
-Katie doubles the wedding budget
-Jax doesnt know who Gandhi is
-Scheana made Shay buy and deliver liquor to his own “”surprise”” bday party
-Stassi had a total meltdown over Scheana and Ariana supposedly siding with Lala
So there have been some unconfirmed spoilers from the beginning of this month and after yesterday's reveal, it is pretty safe to say they may in fact be true regarding the plot of the movie.
- Rita was the original green ranger. Zordon was the original red ranger.
- Rita Repulsa wants the Zeo Crystal for Lord Zedd.
- The Zeo Crystal taps into the Morphing Grid (giving the Zeo Ranger powers) and is protected by a Force Field.
- Goldar is able to go through the Force Field, which is the only reason he was created, and can get the Zeo Crystal.
- Goldar is vaporized into gold particles at the beginning of the movie (by Zordon?) which is said to be during Ancient Earth; is scattered all over the world.
- Force Field vaporizes everything that tries to go through it and is said to have burnt off Lord Zedd's face!
- Rita is robbing banks for gold to reform Goldar.
- Power Rangers have 71 hours, not even a full 3 days
- They obviously fail or Rita does a half assed job based off of the melting
So who knows where the Tommy as the Green Ranger, White Ranger, and Zeo Ranger powers stand in regards to the sequel they hope to make but expect Lord Zedd in Part 2
ONTD, are you a bougie whitewashed Space Witch who commits grand theft?
- the two are speaking to each other again but not living together.
- fights of this magnitude are typical for them
- they've lost the support of rob's sisters
Affleck's batman will be a cool dad Batman.
New picture from the Justice League movie featuring the Flash, Batman, and Wonder Woman! pic.twitter.com/xOmcrlQuSy— DC Extended Universe (@TheDCEU) December 20, 2016
Ezra Miller said, "Uncle Fish Curry [Aquaman] is very grumpy. Dad [Batman] gets grumpy too. (He’s had a long life of fighting crime.) Wonder Woman is very considerate, so even though she’s annoyed with the Flash, she’s still very compassionate."
source: 1, 2
The BBC miniseries stars Tom Burke and Holliday Grainger as the PI Cormoran Strike and his reliable assistant/PI-in-training Robin Ellacott, respectively.
No word on a premiere date yet but here are some pictures to keep you satisfied while that next book doesn't come.
They look good tbh!
How do you enter? All you have to do is comment! We'll be randomly selecting winners from the comments section. To keep it fair, you can only win once, but you can comment as much as you'd like, which increases your chances of winning.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS AND GOOD LUCK!
@ Drake, because IDC if you disagree.
Mr. Rager aka Solo Dolo aka The Man on The Moon aka Scotty with the body in the three piece suit lookin so CUTE is back!
Kid Cudi has released a new album over the weekend and **SPOILER** It's certified 🔥intergalactic flames🔥
You can stream Cudi's new album over @ Spotify and Apple. Maybe Tidal? but who's checking for ha, tbh.
Passion, Pain, and Demon Slayin' include features by the following greats:
Andre Benjamin, Willow Smith, Travis Scott. Pharrell's in there, too, ig.
Here's a quick clip of Cudi's croonin' on this album.
If you find the sounds from this video enticing, give the album a proper listen and come back and share your faves with the rest of us.
kid cudi's hum game is untouchable 😩 pic.twitter.com/TSvR2F1bvW— Genius (@Genius) December 20, 2016
Personal faves atm: By Design, Rose Golden, Baptized In Fire, Does It, Dance 4 Eternity, Distant Fantasies, and The ode To Wonder Woman/The Guide
For Tuesday, December 20, 2016:
Michele Morgan: French actress and glamour icon dies at 96 https://t.co/69eliywgPN— BBC News (World) (@BBCWorld) 21 grudnia 2016
* she won the first-ever best actress award at Cannes in 1946
* known as having "the most beautiful eyes in cinema"
* Morgan was born Feb. 29, 1920, in Neuilly-sur-Seine as Simone Renee Roussel
* she was voted as the most popular French actress 10 times
* received many awards during her career, including a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1960 or France's Legion of Honor in 1969